“Dynasty”: This is Why You Should Be Watching the TV Series’ Reboot

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

If you are a TV series fan, I’m pretty sure you already heard of Dynasty – the CW and Netflix reboot of an iconic 80’s soap opera of the same name. 

Dynasty begins with heiress Fallon Carrington (aka Jade, from Victorious) unhappy to find her billionaire father Blake (Grant Show) engaged to Cristal (Nathalie Kelley), a rival employee at the family company. When Fallon’s machinations to separate the couple backfire and cost her a promotion, she allies with Blake’s nemesis, Jeff Colby (Sam Adegoke), and strikes out on her own. 

Meanwhile, the arrival of Cristal’s opportunistic nephew Sam (Rafael de la Fluente) — who becomes romantically involved with Fallon’s brother, Steven (James Mackay) — threatens to expose her shady past. The Carringtons form a united front in the wake of the suspicious death of Cristal’s former lover, but things at the mansion do not remain harmonious for long.

Still looking for reasons to start watching Dynasty? We separated a list with 7 good ones for you!

Why to start watching Dynasty?

#1 From the same creators of Gossip Girl and The OC

If you are a big fan of Gossip Girl or The OC (or both), here’s a reason for you to start watching Dynasty: Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage, are the screenwriters and television producers responsible for the TV series.

#2 It’s a remake

Dynasty is based on an iconic 80’s soap opera of the same name. The essence of the story has remained, however it has been adapted to the present day – the aesthetics and the characters and plot itself.

#3 The cast

The TV series stars Grant Show as Blake Carrington, Nathalie Kelley as his new wife Cristal Flores Carrington, Elizabeth Gillies as Blake’s daughter Fallon, and James Mackay as his son Steven. In addition, Robert Christopher Riley is Michael Culhane, the Carrington chauffeur and Fallon’s former lover, and Sam Adegoke as Jeff Colby, a young business rival to Blake.

#4 The photography

Dynasty is one of the series where everything looks perfect. All scenarios are beautiful – from the streets do the Carrington mansion – and perfectly made to delight the audience.

#5 The clothing design

One of the best things of Dynasty are the clothes. Chanel and Dolce & Gabbana are a must have at the Carrington family. So, if you love fashion, just pay attention to the characters’ looks!

#6 It’s full of competition for power and family fight

The TV series is full of competition for power: Fallon wants an import part at the family business, however her father decides to give more power to Cristal. Because of that, Fallon is determined to do everything to end up with Cristal’s happiness and ally with Blake’s number 1 rival: Jeff Colby.

#7 It’s available on Netflix

All episodes of Dynasty are available on Netflix. The streaming service releases one new episode per week – in Brazil, the release happens every Thursday.

Anna is a 21 year old from Sao Paulo, Brazil, who studies Journalism at Casper Libero University. She’s currently the Editor in Chief of Her Campus CL's Chapter and is pretty obsessed with fashion, beauty and (trashy) reality TV shows. 
Alana Claro

Casper Libero '17

Alana is a Senior in Cásper Líbero University, majoring in Journalism. She is President of Casper Libero's Chapter and an intern in a Corporate Communications firm. Born and raised in Sao Paulo, where she speaks Portuguese, although English is her ever-lasting love. Alana is a proud Slytherin and INTJ.