nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Don’t Give Up on Them: 10 Cancelled TV Shows You Still Wanna Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

It’s always sad when our favorite show is cancelled. You spend months watching one episode per week – or hours marathoning – and suddenly… There’s no new season. And the worst part is: there’s no series finale either. The expectation continues, the whole plot is set and no loose ends tied up.

Just like grief, you need to recover from the shock and believe that such tragedy really did happened. To do so, you may pass through a process: first of all, it is all about denial.

After that, you realize your show was really cancelled and the second phase starts: anger. You will hate the producer, curse the writers…

The third stage is mourning and finally, you’re in your way to acceptance – but never to forget. In honor of the good memories and to cheer you up, what would you think about remembering some TV show that was were cancelled? Here it goes!

Let’s start with some recent pain:

Sense8 ★2015 ✚2018

Sense8 was only one of (nine) Netflix’s cancelled series. The real problem: it was one great show and adored by fans. CEO Reed Hastings said in june about how Netflix “should have a higher cancel rate overall” and take more risks. Many protests and a petition later, the fans got what they wanted and it was announced that they’ll make a 2-hour special to give it a closure.

Lana Wachowski, creator and showrunner, wrote an emotional letter to give the good news. Also, Lana went live on Facebook with Brian J. Smith (Will), Max Riemelt (Wolfgang) and Toby Onwumere (Capheus) and told everybody that she is writing a script for season 3 even because she believes in the fans. Watch out, Netflix!

The Get Down ★2016 ✚2017

The Get Down was one of the most Netflix’s incredible production. It was all about the 70’s with DJs, hip hop, soul divas and graffiti. A musical drama: poetic, glamorous and expensive. It costed around $7.5 million per episode to produce and was cancelled after just one season – divided in two parts. Now we’ll never know what the future holds to The Get Down Brothers or Mylene Cruz and The Soul Madonnas. The creator and Oscar-nominated director, Baz Luhrmann, wrote an explanation on Facebook about it. Check it out.

Variety, “the decision to make this season the last were not totally unexpected” and the head’s up gave the producers some time to prepare a series finale and give the fans a real conclusion on the story. The final episode aired in June and ended just like we expected: full of bloody murder, bloody sex and revelations.

2 Broke Girls ★2011 ✚2017

After 6 seasons and a lot of laughs and tears with Max (Kat Dennings) and Carol (Beth Behrs) we had to say goodbye. It is hard, I know. But age comes to all of us all and so many seasons was the real deal behind the cancellation. “Our comedy development this year was very good and (…) it puts a lot of pressure on some of your older shows. We felt creatively it was time and we had to create some space on the schedule to get some new product on.”, CBS head of scheduling Kelly Kahl told Deadline.

To melt our hearts, Kat tweeted a letter from her and Beth to thank the fans and crew.

Scream Queens ★2015 ✚2016

Even with Emma Roberts, Lea Michele, Abigail Breslin, Billie Lourd, Keke Palmer and Jamie Lee Curtis in the cast, Scream Queen was cancelled after season two. The truth is Ryan Murphy’s horror/comedy serie was really popular on social media, but not so much on TV. Even before the Upfront – the event which they present the annual programming – Fox executive Gary Newman told Variety that “It feels as if it was a complete series” and that’s why it came to an end.

The Carrie Diaries ★2013 ✚2014

You definitely know Carrie Bradshaw from Sex and the City and, of course, The Carrie Diaries was a Sex and the City prequel. If you thought you wanted to be grown-up Carrie, wait to see teenager Carrie, played by Anna Sophia Robb. The 80’, Madonna’s style, New York City and Austin Butler as Sebastian Kydd! Could this get any better? Apparently, it could. Although it was one of CW’s fan-favorite TV shows, it was cancelled after season 2.

In 2014, at the CW’s executive panel on the Television Critics Association semi-annual press tour, CW president Mark Pedowitz said: “We’re very proud of The Carrie Diaries. (…) We brought it back to a second season, not necessarily because of ratings but because of what its digital presence was, (…) but after a while it wasn’t economically feasible.”

Witches of East End ★2013 ✚2014

After only two seasons, the Beauchamp family supernatural drama came to an end and left all of the questions without answers. What about Ingrid`s pregnancy, Wendy`s sister in hell and the Gardiner brothers switching bodies saga? We’ll never know.

Don’t Trust The B– Of The Apartment 23 ★2012 ✚2013

The ABC’s sitcom with Krysten Ritter (Jessica Jones) was abruptly cancelled in the middle of its second season with 8 remaining episodes to air. The TV show was about June (Dreama Walker), a dreamy girl who moves to Chloe’s (Krysten) apartment in Manhattan. The problem is: Chloe has a impulsive personality, as we can say, and has James Van Der Beek, playing a fictional version of himself, as her best friend. ABC never explained why they cancelled it, but James and Krysten tweeted about it the day-after the show was removed from ABC’s schedule.

The Secret Circle ★2011 ✚2012

Why this show was cancelled on the first season was a mystery at first. CW renewed a lot of series and never added The Secret Circle to the list… Or to the list of cancelled shows. The only explanation we find about it have to do with the audience and budget. Nothing new to that, right?

Heroes ★2006 ✚2010

Before all this TV shows based on Marvel and DC characters, there was Heroes. It was a hit and lasted four hole seasons. NBC even tried to do a reborn, literally. Heroes Reborn in 2015 and it was also cancelled, after season one.

Larissa Bomfim

Casper Libero '19

Journalist and completely immersed in pop culture (and a little bit of indie, we must confess). My "watchlist" on Netflix is only smaller than my pile of books waiting to be read.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.