Wellness

Covid Impacted Loneliness. Why Is Solitude So Important?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The COVID-19 pandemic has brought immeasurable social impacts, disrupting not only physical health and social life, but mental health and interpersonal relationships were similarly damaged. However, is it possible for us to learn to transform the loneliness caused by social isolation into solitude? The Psychologist Lídia Cavalcante, a graduate student in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), tells Her Campus how we can manage that feeling in the best way.

First of all, we need to understand the difference between loneliness and solitude. “Loneliness is not a simple feeling, but a mix of sensations such as anguish, pain, fear, and sadness. Loneliness influences the psychological aspects of the person and may lead to depression, anxiety disorder, and suicidal ideation,” explains Lídia. “As opposed to loneliness, solitude is important in connecting a person with their emotions. It is beneficial for self-knowledge if used healthily”, she says.

Furthermore, we cannot forget that mental health impacts physical health. According to Ipsos Global Advisor research, Brazilians had the most weight gain during the pandemic, reaching 52% of the population, while the global media was 31%. Moreover, the survey carried out by researchers from the ConVid study, which investigated how the restrictions imposed by the pandemic affected the lives of Brazilians, evaluated 44,000 Brazilian adults, with 40.4% of the participants feeling often sad or depressed, and 52.6%, anxious or nervous.

“Interacting with other people has a direct impact on our health. However, The COVID-19 pandemic has reformulated personal relationships in an unprecedented way. Social distance isolated people, friends, and partners. We noticed difficulties in building bonds since there is a considerable difference between live relationships and network interaction”, tells Lídia.

If building bonds is so important for individual and collective health, how can we enjoy moments alone in a way that does not harm our emotional state? “Solitude allows us to recognize our actions and what moves us as individuals, generating a reflection on ourselves. It can promote pleasure in enjoying a moment that involves you and your feelings, disconnecting from external factors to listen internally to your needs. This is a great opportunity for learning and personal development. It is necessary to work on self-esteem and values ​​as life goals and objectives so that you can find a meaning in solitude that does not bring suffering.

After all, we understand that solitude can bring benefits to personal development and emotional balance. It is vital to have a good interpersonal relationship and appreciate moments alone. You can read a new book, meditate, and drink a coffee, among other possibilities of activities to discover new hobbies and set priorities. In the end, remind yourself to be kind to yourself and be open to the self-knowledge journey.  If the feeling of loneliness remains, seek help from a professional you can call a friend to assist you in the development of solitude.

——————————————————————

The article above was edited by Giovana Lins Barbosa

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero’s home page for more!

Sophia Demarchi

Casper Libero '22

Advertising student and writer enthusiast. I'm cat mom, sagittarius and music lover :)