Children’s Day: 8 Movies With Valuable Lessons To Watch With The Kids

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

It’s Children’s Day, and what’s better than watching some movies with your family and enjoying this day together? 

And even those who do not live with children, it is always worth awakening the child within us! Just grab some popcorn and check this list that Her Campus Casper Libero selected just for you! I’m sure that it’s gonna be a cheerful day. Have fun!

1. Wonder

Wonder tells the story of a boy named August, who has a facial deformity caused by a disease called Treacher Collins syndrome. For the first time, Auggie goes to a school and faces malicious criticism and comments from his classmates. But he will not be alone in the process, because he has his family, his teachers, and himself.

The attitudes of the little protagonist of this story teach us a lesson about tolerance, respect, resilience, unconditional support from family, and courage.

1. Luca

The movie follows the adventures of Luca during an unforgettable summer on the Italian Riviera, filled with pasta, gelato, and incredible motorcycle rides with his new friend Alberto. However, all the fun is threatened by a secret: the two boys are sea monsters from a world just below the surface of the water.

Telling an incredible story about friendship, living with what is different, the excluded always have to help each other, family’s unconditional support, how good it is to learn new things and to venture out, Luca also teaches us very important lessons about life.

1. The Good Dinosaur

This exciting movie happens during a fictional time in which the asteroid responsible for the destruction of the dinosaurs did not happen. It shows a journey of learning together and the friendship between a human boy (Spot) and a dinosaur (Arlo). Together, they will learn the power of facing their fears. 

The story addresses important issues such as children’s emotions, acceptance in the face of loss, the ability to cope with a fear of the unknown, and tolerance. If you are a sentimental person, I’m pretty sure you will get emotional watching this movie!

1. Big Hero 6

In the high-tech city of San Fransokyo, robotics prodigy Hiro Hamada witnesses local peace being threatened by powerful forces and, accompanied by robot Baymax, joins a team of inexperienced fighters. 

This movie, in which young people become superheroes, is so worth watching. Thanks to this amazing story, we can learn about the value of friendship, the importance of family, diversity, acceptance, creativity, resourcefulness, and cooperation. In addition, the film advocates ending gender roles and stereotypes, as well as the importance of believing in yourself and being true to who you are. In this movie, you will get a combo of emotions!

1. How To Train Your Dragon

How To Train Your Dragon shows a young Viking, Hiccup, that was raised in a society that demonizes dragons and hunts them for fun. He, however, goes in the opposite direction and adopts one of the most dangerous ones as his faithful companion, encouraging the entire community to ally with the creatures rather than fight them. 

The film also deals with physical disabilities (in this case, amputations) in a natural and healthy way. Thanks to this amazing movie we can learn to never judge someone by their appearances, that time is the best medicine – everyone has the ideal time to find their true potential, respect your instincts -, many times we just need to believe in what our intuition tells us, and that it is necessary to respect what is in each one of us. In addition, you just need to believe in yourself and have determination and patience – not everything happens as you imagine, sometimes things don’t work out the way you want them to. That’s exactly when we need humility and perseverance to get everything back on track.

1. Karate Kid

In the 1980s classic, Daniel seeks out Mr. Miyagi to learn how to fight back against the kids who bully him at school, but what he finds is the non-violent life philosophy of Karate. With a lot of discipline and training, he learns to control his own nerves and becomes more confident to face adversity. 

This movie gives us some amazing valuable lessons such as adverse situations can serve as fuel for your growth, there will be moments that you will get beaten up in life and you must learn to survive and deal with it, face your fears, commit to something if you really want something and persevere and work hard.

1. The Lion King 

It’s very difficult to find children’s movies that deal well with death and The Lion King does this perfectly and genuinely. Mufasa really dies and leaves all the weight of the kingdom on Simba’s back. The little lion will need to mature and learn to take responsibility before he can overcome this death and take back the throne.

One of the first lessons presented is that life is a big cycle and that your actions interfere in the lives of all other beings, fear is not for the weak and it takes a lot of courage to face it, true friends are forever, and they must be based on truth, loyalty, and respect. This is what we see in The Lion King, alongside the message that the people we love never truly leave us and will always be by our side, and to always remember who you are.

“You have forgotten me. You have forgotten who you are, and you have forgotten me. Look inside yourself. You are much more than you think you are. You have to take your place in the cycle of life. You are my son and the true king. Remember who you are.”

1. Up

This movie begins with the story of Ellie and Carl, which leaves no one indifferent. It’s a story of love, commitment, of not giving up in the face of adversity, and of always pursuing our dreams, even if they seem impossible.

After an incident, Carl is considered a public menace and forced to be hospitalized. To prevent this from happening, he puts balloons on his house, causing it to take off. Carl wants to travel to a forest in South America, where he and Ellie have always wanted to live but discovers that a problem has come along: Russell, a 8-year-old boy.

Besides the love story, there is the friendship between Carl and little Russell, which shows us values such as companionship, and positivity.

👯‍♀️ Related: Haven’t You Seen Cruella Yet? Here Are 5 Reasons To Watch
Giullia Cartaxo

Casper Libero '23

A sociable, kind, friendly, little broadcaster with a love for series, movies and the internet.