Cannes Festival: what productions will hit the theaters or streaming platforms soon? 

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Known for bringing attention to exceptional film productions, the Cannes Festival is always a very expected event by movie enthusiasts from all over the world. This year’s edition, which set the record for the highest number of female directors, was especially filled with unique productions. Traditionally, the competition hosted in the French Riviera includes many award categories, ranging from the classic cinematic parameters (director, actors and juri prize) to exclusive ones, such as the “Palme d’Or”, the highest recognition of the festival. So, among so many options, what films can we expect to hit the theaters or streaming platforms soon? 

Killers of the Flower Moon

Directed by renowned Martin Scorsese, Killers of the Flower Moon depicts the brutal murders of members of the Osage Native tribe in the state of Oklahoma, US, in the 1920s. Although it was announced out of competition at Cannes, the film was very acclaimed by critics for revisiting a historical period related to the dispute of indigenous land and the violence against its people. After the exhibition, the cast members, Leonardo DiCaprio, Robert De Niro, Brendan Fraser and Lily Gladstone, received an impressive standing ovation that took over 9 minutes of the festival. Killers of the Flower Moon is expected to be released in theaters globally on October 20th, 2023, and later available on Apple TV+

May December

May December, whose cast is composed of incredible actresses such as Julianne Moore and Natalie Portman, sets a complex drama. The plot follows the suburban life of couple Gracie (Moore) and Joe (Charles Melton) as Elizabeth Berry, played by Portman, unravels memories and secrets regarding the beginning of their scandalous relationship. At the time, Joe was only 13 years old, while his future wife was 36. Netflix has acquired the streaming rights for over 11 million dollars and the release is expected to happen during this year’s Academy Award season (fall/winter of the North Hemisphere). 

Asteroid City

Popularly recognized for the symmetrical framing of the scenes and a fixed color scheme, Wes Anderson launches his new movie globally in theaters on August 10th. The name Asteroid City references the fictional urban setting where the story takes place: a spot in the middle of a desert marked by the landing of an asteroid. Its show-stopping cast, with names like Scarlett Johansson, Tom Hanks, Jason Schwartzman and Margot Robbie, creates an intricate plot surrounding grief and nuclear testing in the 1950s. 

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

For the first time, the Lucasfilm franchise is making a return without Steven Spielberg’s direction. James Mangold’s fifth and final version brings back all the nostalgia with just a little help from technology to make Harrison Ford, who is now 80 years old, look younger during flashback scenes. During the Cannes ceremonie, the actor received a honorary Palme d’Or for his work on the classic movies from the 1980s. Whilst holding the award, Ford teared up and said he was “deeply moved by this honor, and humbled.” Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny hits theaters on June 30th

Strange Way of Life 

Responsible for causing great shock and anticipation on social media, Strange Way of Life is a Western short film featuring Ethan Hawke and Pedro Pascal as gunmen who reunite in a ranch 25 years after having an affair. Director Pedro Almodóvar produced it as a response to having turned down the opportunity to lead a similar project called Brokeback Mountain (2005), which ended up being directed by Ang Lee and acted by Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger. Sony Pictures Classics has acquired the rights to distribute the film all over the world, except in Italy and Latin America, where the streaming MUBI is responsible. It is speculated to come out this fall in the North Hemisphere. 

👯‍♀️ Related: Do Romance Ao Terror: Os Filmes Atuais Conseguem Superar Os Clássicos?

——————————-

The article above was edited by Juliana Sanches.

Like this type of content? Check out Her Campus Casper Libero for more.

Giulia El Houssami

Casper Libero '26

hi! i’m a future journalist who loves to stay up until the sun rises. usually, i’m learning new interesting things, reading or writing.