This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Depending on which country you reside, Netflix’s catalog can go from 39 (Morocco) to 1157 (USA) available shows. Although the media and watchers can get stuck on the same TV shows that are mainstream right now, the diversity of binge-watching material on Netflix is humongous! So, here are 7 unusual shows that are available on Netflix right now:

Lucifer

In this American police procedural comedy-drama, Lucifer Morningstar, the actual Devil played by the devilishly handsome Tom Ellis, decides he had enough of Hell and takes some time off on Earth. He settles in Los Angeles, the City of Angels. There, he meets Detective Chloe Decker (played by Lauren German) and begins to assist LAPD. Lucifer is the perfect mixture between police procedural and the supernatural. The main character, the Devil, is extremely sassy and creates this amazing chemistry with Detective Chloe. Furthermore, the show plays and spins religion throughout the seasons. Season 1 is available on Netflix, but we’re still waiting for season 2 to be included in the catalog. Season 3 airs on Monday, October 2 at 8/7c on Fox.

Crazy Head

This British comedy-horror show features Amy (Cara Theobold) and Raquel (Susan Wokoma), two badass female leads who defeat demons, basically. The show begins with Amy being attacked by a demon and saved by Raquel, who uncovers the truth about Amy: she is a seer – a person with the ability of seeing demons. After some struggling, the characters come together to kick some demon ass. Not only the show fights sexism by having two amazing female leads AND passing the Bechdel test, the plot touches on sexism while being completely hilarious. Unfortunately, Crazy Head was not renewed for a season 2, though its fanbase has not given up on hope and created a petition: Save Crazy Head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_whoNJNxxO8

Lovesick

The British show revolves around Dylan (Johnny Flynn), Luke (Daniel Ings) and Evie (Antonia Thomas). After finding out he has an STD, Dylan must contact every single girl he had sex with to break the news. Each chapter tells the story of one of Dylan’s previous sexual partners, mixing the present storyline with flashbacks. The show itself is extremely very realistic when it comes to sex and relationships, while being heartwarming and funny as hell. While being a small show (compared to Netflix’s greatest hits), Lovesick managed to rightfully build a pretty good fanbase (fanfics, Tumblr gifs, the whole package). Fun fact: the show used to be called Scrotum Recall, but was renamed as it got renewed for a second season. Season 1 and 2 are available on Netflix and a season 3 is on the way!

Queen of the South

Based off of Arturo Pérez-Reverte’s book: Queen of the South, the drama-thriller stars Alice Braga playing Teresa. After her drug-running is murdered in Mexico, she leaves everything behind and flees to Dallas. There, she becomes USA’s queen of drug smuggling and fights to avenge her boyfriend’s murder. Alice is actually Brazilian (not Mexican) and dubbed her own voice for the Brazilian Portuguese airing of the show in Brazil. She has been a fan of the book for many years, even before auditioning for the show! While season 2 is being aired on TV, Season 1 of the show is available on Netflix.

Enlisted

Three brothers, soldiers of the USA Army, each carrying a completely different personality, are assigned to rear detachment (their duty is to stay behind and take care of the base) in Florida. The two younger brothers: Derrick (Chris Lowell) and Randy (Parker Young) reunite with their oldest brother Staff Sergeant Pete Hill (Geoff Stults) in Fort McGee, where Pete is now in charge of supervising a platoon of misfits. Aired in 2014, unfortunately the show only got 1 season, which is available on Netflix. Even with its low ratings, the show was acclaimed by the critics and had loving fans that fought alongside with the writers to keep the show alive (by petitioning, writing articles, etc.). The show was hilarious, showing the clash between the brothers’ three different personalities and diverse senses of humor. At the same time, Enlisted was touching and heartwarming, when those three brothers found ways to re-tie their childhood bonds and deal with the trauma of their father’s death and Afghanistan. Let’s all have a moment of silence for the death of this AMAZING show ☹.​

Dramaworld

The first Korean and American collaboration drama already has a gigantic fanbase, calling in fans of K-Drama (a knowingly devoted fanbase) and American drama to come together. Claire Duncan (Liv Hewson) is a Korean drama obsessed college student. She sees her favorite show, Taste of Love, as her only escape. Ironically, with a touch of magic, Claire finds herself stuck in her favorite show, being able to alter the storylines she has been fixating over. “What would YOU do if you fell into your favorite K-drama?” the show’s poster calls out. Dramaworld brings Korean culture to an audience who has probably never been in touch with it, creating diversification and representation, furthermore creating a completely new genre. The show mixes both American and Korean languages, actors (Sean Dulake, Noo-Ri Bae, Sa Hee and more!) and writing techniques/characteristics. For example, fans shouldn’t have to worry if there will be closing of the plot if the show was cancelled. Korean storylines are always sure to have an ending, unlike American TV shows. Season 2 of the show is yet to be renewed or cancelled.

​Merlí

Merlí tells the story of a high school philosophy teacher (Francesc Orella) with unorthodox methods. The show teaches about philosophy in everyday life and each episode brings a great school of thought while exploring the plot of the characters. Merlí is in Catalan, but offers subtitles so no one misses out on watching this amazing show!

The show has 8,7 stars on IMDb and has a very passionate fanbase, especially on Tumblr. Season 1 is already available on Netflix while we wait for season 2 (which has already been aired) to be added to the catalog. Apparently, season 3 will be the last we will see of these beloved characters, ending one of the most successful series in TV3 (Catalan public TV) ☹.

Find new shows, eat up all the cultural diversity that is completely available on Netflix right now! All of these shows are worth binge watching, so have fun!

Flávia de Sá

Casper Libero '19

20 year-old college student trying not to freak out most of the time. I don't know, bios give me heart palpitations.
Alana Claro

Casper Libero '17

Alana is a Senior in Cásper Líbero University, majoring in Journalism. She is President of Casper Libero's Chapter and an intern in a Corporate Communications firm. Born and raised in Sao Paulo, where she speaks Portuguese, although English is her ever-lasting love. Alana is a proud Slytherin and INTJ.