This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Netflix invested heavily into the production of original content and the thriller genre has received great attention from the platform, which is constantly releasing new creations from various parts of the world. Some productions stand out for bringing a greater exploration of the human psyche combined with a complex and minimalist structure revealing secrets and unknown facts. Now, you get a full list of unmissable hits!

1. Requiem

GIF Source: GIPHY

This is a Netflix original production, in partnership with the BBC, featuring talented cellist Matilda Gray, a strong female character whose life is turned upside down and a series of questions about her identity and her past are brought into question. The girl embarks on a mysterious adventure in search of answers that involve the suicide of her mother and also the life of Carys Howeel, who disappeared years ago when she was still a child.

Requiem is undoubtedly an excellent thriller that makes the most of the supernatural theme and psychological horror, resulting in a very well structured work of breathtaking suspense from beginning to end. Written by Kris Mrksa, it is a dark journey in search of truth and revelation of mysteries hidden in an English mansion. Additionally it has beautiful photography and a narrative that doesn’t leave loose ends, giving meaning to everything that is put into question throughout story.

2. Dark

GIF Source: GIPHY

Dark is a German production created by Baran bo Odar and Jantje Friese that mixes thriller, terror and science fiction. The events in the small town of Widen, Germany, begin to make sense as the story takes shape. The viewer is forced to pay attention to the smallest details, since distinct temporal lines converge resulting a plot that requires the viewer’s effort in interpreting interrelated events. 

The central narrative is about the disappearance of two children, which is not an isolated event, as a series of events that occurs decades ago links the four families. In addition, the series goes far beyond the simple search after the disappearance of the children and presents itself as a production that involves the discussion about the complexity and psychological transformation of the characters amid threats, secrets, disappearances and murders that arise during the course of plot.

The story is set in three distinct epochs (1953, 1986 and 2019), not coincidentally separated by 33 years between them, and uses as base the premise of cycles that repeat, bringing events and traumas already experienced. Therefore, the search for answers reveals secrets from the community and brings, above all, a series of intriguing philosophical and scientific questions about the notion of space-time.

3. The Rain

GIF Source: GIPHY

The Scandinavian series premiered May 4 on the platform and soon won the public for presenting a compelling story full of action and mystery. The plot revolves around deadly allergic reactions spread by rainwater, which almost decimate the country’s population. The brothers Simone and Rasmus spend six years living in a bunker, and when they finally leave their hiding place, are forced to face the new reality by throwing themselves into the unknown. Thus, they meet a group of survivors and together rediscover new ways of relating.

The post-apocalyptic theme of the series challenges human despair in catastrophic situations, bringing harsh social criticism of man’s behavior. However, production also focuses on sentimental ties that can’t be left behind, such as love and friendship.

Directed by Kenneth Kainz and Natasha Arthy and created by Jannik Tai Mosholt, Esben Toft Jacobsen and Christian Potalivo, in addition to having a well structured script, the series still brings a great photo. So there’s no reason to stop following it. We only recommend that “Stay at home” and “Keep your friends close”.

4. La Mante

GIF Source: GIPHY

This French thriller created by Laurent Alexandre is perfect for those looking for a quality production to marathon in short time. La Mante features the prestigious actors Carole Bouquet and Fred Testot as main characters, received great reviews for the good construction of the plot and the way to win the viewer and keep him attentive until the final episode.

The script makes clearly different choices from other productions of the criminal genre and chooses to build a female character to be the serial killer. Jeanne Deber is a kind of justice, who has committed a series of 8 murders against abusive men, and is now being sought by investigators and her son Damien to help solve the crimes of his imitator, who 25 years later begins to repeat his method of killings. From this are revealed secrets about the characters’ past, as well as psychological traits and traumatizing motivations that shape the individual and transform their life story.

The production still has great locations that serve to form a perfect setting for the unfolding of the plot. In addition, the surprising structuring of the plot and the rhythm of production very different from the usual ones appear as a good option for those who are tired of the predictability of the American productions.

5. Manhunt: Unabomber

GIF Source: GIPHY

The Manhunt Series: Unabomber tells the true story of the American terrorist Theodore Kaczynsk, responsible for leaving three dead and 23 wounded after sending explosive packages by mail. Created by Andrew Sodrowski, it is an excellent psychological drama that has a fluid rhythm and has a strong thriller for bringing the arduous process of investigations led by the FBI agent Jim Fitzgerald in search of true identity of the culprit.

The series impresses by its realistic reproduction of the events and the choice of actors is also something very relevant for the narrative, because the similarity with the real personages enriches and adds another positive point the plot. Another very important point is that it serves as a platform to narrate the emergence of forensic linguistics as a new method of police action. It is mainly a presentation on complex ideologies and the boundaries between faith and perversities.

6. Safe

GIF Source: GIPHY

The series starring Michael C. Hall has entered the Netflix catalog on May 10 and is a real gift for those who love thriller. The story begins by portraying the perfect life of a seemingly perfect upper-class surgeon, Tom, who raised his daughters Jenny and Carrie after his wife’s death. This falls behind on a night when Jenny goes out to a party and everyone’s life is exposed and steeped in murder, disappearance and revelation of secrets.

With the creation of Harlan Coben, a world-renowned author who had his work on the New York Times bestseller list and Danny Brocklehurst’s screenplay, the production promises to combine a deepening of the characters to reveal the case without much laps, but with many related stories.

7. The Sinner

GIF Source: GIPHY

The psychological thriller The Sinner is an American production based on the eponymous book of the German writer, Petra Hammesfahr, with creation and starring actress Jessica Biel.

On an ordinary Sunday morning, during a walk on the beach with the family, a mother has an outbreak and stabs a boy for no apparent reason. The plot deepens in the motivations that could have taken to commit the crime, also addressing the obsession of the investigator by answers. The story is shocking and accompanies the investigation of the crime until revealing secrets of Cora’s past. The first season deals with abuses against young women in the quiet cities of the United States and features flashbacks and small plots that help build the narrative and rebuild the supposedly unusual and desperate crime.

Bruna Vasconcelos

Casper Libero '20

Journalism student passionate about writing and usually busy drinking tea, reading politics articles or thinking about what forgot at home. Also in love with poetry and culture, collaborates with some movie reviews.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.