Wellness > Mental Health

5 Tips To Help You “Chill Out” About Politics For The Next 4 Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

It is well known that one of the themes that most generates disagreements in a conversation is politics. Talking about it makes people excited, always trying to defend their point of view without even listening to the other. In 2018, because of the elections that took place in Brazil, many friendships were undone and many people lost their peace of mind. Now, after some months, here are some tips for you to relax on this subject for the years to come:

1. Doing other things and not thinking of politics

GIF Source: GIPHY

Well, that sounds like an obvious tip, but it’s not. Sometimes people get so focused on some topics that they simply do not do anything else in their day other than talking and researching about it. However, since everything that takes too much space in our lives is bad, the mind also needs a rest! Read, hang out with friends, watch movies, stay with your family and police yourself to do not address the issue of politics all the time. People like to talk about it, but they get tired when there’s only this matter. It’s annoying to hear the same thing all the time.

2.  Do not feel offended by everything, always remember that people can think differently and that is ok, after all, it’s only politics

GIF Source: GIPHY

It is always good to remember that it’s not worth losing your peace of mind for nothing, especially for things that are not directly within your reach. Although we have the power to vote and convince others, it is much more important to have health and emotional balance than to get into fights to always be right. Aside from being a sign of pride, it will not get you anywhere. People can think differently and it’s okay, it’s cool to have different perspectives under the same subject and it’s fundamental to remember that whatever happens, it’s just politics.

3. Reading the newspapers to understand what currntly happens not only in your country, but in the whole world

GIF Source: GIPHY

If there is one thing that makes the debate stronger and less aggressive, it is knowledge. Knowing what is going on, having the basis to talk and expose your ideas without getting excited and nervous is the key to avoid fights. The political landscape of a country and the world must always be followed and not only in electoral years. Even in the days of ‘political rest’, it is good to stay tuned.

4. See both sides of the stories, also accompanying your ‘political opposition’

GIF Source: GIPHY

Even if it is not easy to read books, newspapers and stories that advocate something that hurts your ideals and points of view, to gain knowledge and better understand why you are against or in favor of things, it is always necessary to know the two sides of a story. This, in addition to bringing knowledge, makes you reflect on your points and brings a sensation of relaxation by dominating the subject.

5. Do not expose your thoughts about all the matters

GIF Source: GIPHY

Finally, to stay relaxed, it is always good to remember that we do not have to state our opinions about everything. If nobody asked us, we should not be talking and looking for discussions. If others have interest to know how we think about something, surely the question will come. Sometimes, it is important to keep our points of view in secret… Exposing too much is not fine for our image and mental health.

Student of Journalism and law, curious, extroverted and happy. Do what you love then success will be a consequence. :)
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.