5 Reasons For You to Watch “American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

If you are addicted to TV series, I am pretty sure you already heard of The Assassination of Gianni Versace. Following The People v. O.J. Simpson, the American Crime Story’ true crime anthology returned in 2018 to explore the murder of Italian fashion designer Gianni Versace.  

Produced and directed by Ryan Murphy, here in Brazil The Assassination of Gianni Versace airs on FX, every Thursday, at 11 p.m. Are you already keeping up with it? We selected 5 reasons for you not to miss the 10 new episodes of American Crime Story Season 2. 

Reasons to Watch “American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace”

#1 It’s a shocking story

The Assassination of Gianni Versace will reveal the story of Gianni Versace’s brutal murder at the hands of serial killer Andrew Cunanan (played by Darren Criss). The incident occurred in 1997, when the famous designer was shot in his head at the stairs of his own house, in Miami. Cunanan was on the FBI’s 10 Most Wanted list until he took his own life eight days after assassinating Versace.

The TV series is based on American author Maureen Orth’s 1999 novel Vulgar Favors: Andrew Cunanan, Gianni Versace, And the largest failed manhunt in the US history. You will have to watch the whole series to learn the untold truth.

#2 It Was Filmed at The Actual Versace Mansion

Ryan Murphy and the series team chose to film at the actual Versace mansion. The fashion designer’s house was sold in the years following his death and it was subsequently turned into a hotel. As a result, the cast and crew were able to shoot many of the key moments in Versace’s home. The assassination scene was also filmed in the real location where Versace was killed.

#3 The Cast

Darren Criss, Ryan’s Murphy frequent collaborator and known for Glee, will play Cunanan. Penelope Cruz (Vicky Cristina Barcelona) will play Gianni’s sister and fellow fashion designer Donatella, while famous singer Ricky Martin will play Antonio D’Amico, Gianni’s partner of 15 years.

Other cast members include Max Greenfield (New Girl) as Gianni’s brother Santo, and Finn Wittrock (American Horror Story) as Cunanan’s first victim, Jeffrey Trail. Annaleigh Ashford (Masters of Sex) and Nico Evers-Swindell round out the main cast as Cunanan’s friends, Lizzie and Phil Cote.

#4 It Was One of the Most Tragic Moments on the Fashion History

American Crime Story will also show the cultural and social impact that the death of Gianni Versace caused in the fashion and in the popular world. So it won’t be a surprise if we see actual footage from 1997, such as Naomi Campbell’s weeping interviews or even Gianni’s funeral, attended by Elton John, Sting and Princess Diana. 

If today we can see celebrities in the front lines of the runways and fashion campaigns that is thanks to the designer, who started this trend when no one risked something similar. So it’s possible that Murphy will show how some of the greats names of that time reacted to the crime, which will give us an idea of what really happened behind the scenes.

#5 It was one of the Biggest FBI Failed Manhunt

The assassination of Gianni Versace was very commented and the search for Cunanan was intense and full of twists. American Crime Story will explore the details of the murder’s backstage and the capture of the serial killer, who committed four crimes before killing the designer and took his life just when the Miami police was about to arrest him.

Anna is a 21 year old from Sao Paulo, Brazil, who studies Journalism at Casper Libero University. She’s currently the Editor in Chief of Her Campus CL's Chapter and is pretty obsessed with fashion, beauty and (trashy) reality TV shows.