This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Broadway musicals are very grandiose and several of these shows have already come to Brazil. However, some of these iconic and highly acclaimed works have not yet arrived here. Check out our list of 5 Broadway musicals that need to come to Brazil.

Hamilton

With its debut in 2015, the musical is the winner of several awards. Created by actor and singer Lin-Manuel Miranda, the play tells the story of Alexander Hamilton, American Founding-Father and first secretary of the US Treasury. The audience follows him from his arrival to the USA until his duel with Aaron Burr, which resulted in his death in 1804.

The show received mostly positive reviews for bringing a more modern face to Broadway, featuring most of its songs in hip hop, r&b and soul styles. In addition to that, the original cast was mostly black, latino and asian, giving them the chance to interpret white historical figures.

Moulin Rouge

Based on the 2001 film of the same name, the show is set in the Belle Époque era in a cabaret in Paris, the famous Moulin Rouge (red windmill). The story focuses on Christian, a young composer, who falls in love with actress Santine, the star of Moulin Rouge. The play breaks the fourth wall several times, as Christian is the narrator of the story.

The show has more than seventy songs, like a jukebox box, as there are songs written by several other artists, like Elton John, David Bowie, Lady Gaga, Madonna

The plot undergoes constant twists and turns, as the Moulin Rouge’s main sponsor, the Duke, believes that with his money he can buy whatever he wants, including Satine´s love.

Kinky Boots

Based on a true story, the show follows Charlie Price, who inherits a shoe factory after his father’s passing. However, business does not go so well and he starts a partnership with Lola, a drag queen and cabaret artist. With Lola’s help, Charlie develops a plan to produce a line of high-heeled boots that are able to withstand a drag queen’s weight as they perform.

The play has already won several awards, including six Tony Awards, three Laurence Olivier Awards and debuted at number fifty on the Billboard 200 charts.

Jagged Little Pill

The play is based on Alanis Morissette‘s musical album of the same name. The musical deals with the imperfection of the American family and uses the album’s songs to discuss topics such as addiction, gender identity and the limits of sexual interaction…

The show originally featured a non-binary character, Jo, played by cis actress Lauren Patten (she/her), who in the story had numerous fights with her mother about her gender. However, when the musical opened on Broadway, many changes were made, including Jo no longer being a non-binary person. With that, all the marketing that the production had done before was changed and the gender identity theme was removed.

The musical was very well received by critics and won 15 Tony Awards nominations, before canceling performances due to the Covid 19 pandemic. At the end of 2022, the show returned to stages in New York and London.

Waitress

The show tells the story of Jenna, a specialist in making pies, who has her marriage weakened because there is no more love. In view of this, the protagonist signs up for a cooking contest in order to live a new life.

The musical talks about motherhood, desires, dreams, friends and, of course, love. With songs made by Sara Bareilles.

————————————————-

The article above was edited by Fernanda Miki Tsukase.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Cásper Líbero for more!

Maria Luiza Malafaia

Casper Libero '26

Hello, I'm Malu :) Journalism student at Cásper Líbero, who loves to write, learn and listen other people's stories.