This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Romantic movies have great and conflictual qualities: they are heartwarming, but can get us mad; they can draw sighs while drawing painful tears; they can make us light and hopeful, but also heavy and mad. And that’s beautiful. 

However, some movies make us cry more than others, especially when they have tragedies involved. So, if you want a romantic movie to cry yourself to sleep, here are 4 of them!

A Walk To Remember (2002)

Nicholas Sparks never fails to tear us up and with “A Walk to Remember” it ain’t different. The story follows Landon Carter (Shane West), a popular troublemaker who is involved in a prank that gets a boy seriously injured. To avoid law involvement, his school’s principal gives him the choice of either being expelled or getting involved in several projects, including the annual play. There, he starts to take acting lessons with Jamie Sullivan (Mandy Moore), a Baptist minister’s daughter.

Eventually, they become friends and end up falling in love, but Jamie is really sick and doesn’t have much time to live. The sad and moving story tells us about young love that can be so strong it’s worth living no matter the amount of time they have to live it in.

Brokeback Mountain (2005)

My favorite movie of all time couldn’t be out of this list! “Brokeback Mountain” is a soulful and loving movie about an impossible love between two cowboys in the 60s. Ennis Del Mar (Heath Ledger) and Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhaal) are hired for the winter to herd sheep on a mountain called Brokeback. While they spend months there working, their only company is each other. A friendship develops and, after a night of getting really drunk, their relationship becomes something else.

The movie tells us about their first encounter, them falling in love, Ennis’ reluctance in accepting this love, and all the challenges they face throughout the years. A beautiful love story that can’t be fully lived due to prejudice and violence. Their struggle to live this love, a tragic event, and the sweet and special way they simply love one another will leave you crying during the whole movie and after.

P.S. I Love You (2007)

Based on Cecilia Ahern’s novel, “P.S. I Love You” is about a married couple, Holly (Hilary Swank) and Gerry (Gerard Butler), who occasionally fight but are deeply in love since day one. Unfortunately, their love story is interrupted by Gerry’s death from a brain tumor.

Broken, Holly grieves locked up in their apartment, not speaking to family nor friends, until, upon her 30th birthday, a cake is delivered to her, along with a message from Gerry. After that, many others would come to help her live without him. All the messages end with “P.S. I Love You” and send her on many adventures, to a future where missing Gerry isn’t so paralyzing anymore, as he wanted.

It’s a love story about vowing to each other to live together forever, but their forever not being long enough. It’s about grief, sorrow, and a love so strong that even beats death. It will make you cry many times and leave you with life lessons never imagined.

Me Before You (2016)

“Me Before You” is also based on a novel, this one, by Jojo Moyes. It all begins with Will Traynor (Sam Clafin) being hit by a motorcycle on a rainy day, which leaves him tetraplegic. Years later, a carer is hired for Will, the cheerful Lou Clark (Emilia Clark).

Then, the formerly cold and sad Will starts to smile and begins to live his life again, all because of Lou’s wonderfully frenetic personality. They start as friends, become best friends and, eventually, fall in love. Even though his condition is still a burden to him, he is glad to live a portion of his life after the accident in a happy mood and with Lou.

It’s an emotional journey of pain, confusion, and understanding the meaning of life, which can be simply having fun and enjoying whichever little time we have on earth, in spite of anything. You will definitely cry yourself to sleep on this one.

——————–

The article above was written by Giulia Howard and edited by Milena Casaca.

Liked this type of content? Check out Her Campus Casper Libero for more!

Giulia Howard

Casper Libero '24

Jornalism student at Casper Libero who loves to talk about movies, tv series, books and anything related to entertainment and culture.