25 Years Of Cásper Líbero University At JUCA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

In 1993, the Jesse Owens Athletics was created just to play at the Communication and Arts University Games, known as JUCA. Although many other universities have already played at the games, Cásper is one of those that participates since the beginning.

Since then, there have been many games played, among victories, painful defeats e also too many troubles. In 2011, for example, on the Friday before JUCA, Cásper ran out of accommodations. In just three days, the athletic management found a disabled college in a farm. And that place was Cásper Libero’s accommodation in Caçapava city.

At the end, everything worked out very well: in that year, Cásper won the University Games for the first time! After that, in 2013 and 2014, they won it again. “Now, we are so close to board for São Carlos city. In three years in Cásper athletics and four years studying at Cásper, I’ve never seen the athletes so motivated, so, I’m optimistic!”, claims Fernanda Silva, Cásper Líbero’s athletic member.

And there are some news for this year’s JUCA. By the rules, a sport modality has to be “demonstrative” for two years before turning into a “official” modality. And, in 2018, women’s soccer is at the “demonstrative” phase for the first time. “A team was formed with the girls from Cásper that were interested. They are training every single weekend for JUCA”, explains Dalva Kohl, also Cásper Líbero’s athletics member. Maybe women’s soccer will become an official modality in JUCA, who knows?

Stories of JUCA

JUCA means the 4 most intense days in the year. It’s 4 days of union, games, crowd, parties, but also some troubles. There are so many unusual stories in those 4 days. Do you want to meet some?

2016, JUCA in Sorocaba city: “I was so hungry I decided to buy a pizza. I arrived at my tent to eat. I sat down and the pizza FELL ALL OVER ON THE FLOOR. The worst part was my friends saying that I could eat the pizza, even with ants and hair on it. After that, I had to eat some cookies, because I didn’t have any money left.” Adriana Nakasone (graduated in Advertising in 2017)

Image Source: Personal Archive/Adriana Nakasone

2016, JUCA in Sorocaba city: “The accommodation bathroom was terrible, so we had to search for places to take a bath. Near there, there was a restaurant which had a shower. When I arrived, there was a huge line, but the restaurant owner said the store near there was hers too and that there was also a bathroom. When I arrived there, I saw it was like a ‘bathroom project’, because it wasn’t finished yet. There was only a hole in the wall and a valve. When I turned the valve, water started to come out, so I found out that was the shower. There wasn’t anywhere I could put my things on, so I had to take a shower holding everything . Not to mention that there were some strange larvae on the floor.” Beatriz Vasconcelos (Public Relations student)

Image Source: Personal Archive/Beatriz Vasconcelos

2016, JUCA in Sorocaba city: “I was in the Aguante [Cásper Líbero organized crowd] bus to Sorocaba city. When I arrived in the accommodation, I didn’t found my ticket to get in. So I sat outside with all my bags. My phone was without battery and my friends, that were in another bus, were really worried looking for me. I slept on top of the bags in the entrance of the accommodation, I peed behind a newsstand… It was 5 in the morning when I decided to try to get inside the accommodation again. Even without the ticket, I got in! I slept and, when I woke up, I found my ticket, that had been inside my pocket all the time.” Isabella Câmara (Journalism student)

Image Source: Personal Archive/Isabella Câmara

2017, JUCA in Araraquara city: “In the last day of JUCA, we decided to do a ‘race’ in our bus. In the ‘end’ of the race, me and my friend ran, but after 4 days and 1 race, I was already 100% exhausted, because I do not exercise, but anyway, I ran. Coming to the end of the bus, I slipped and fell on top of the people that were there, but I still won!” Yasmin Mussolin (Journalism student)

Video Source: Personal Archive/Yasmin Mussolin

2017, JUCA in Araraquara city: “I don’t have a tent, so I always borrowed it from someone. In 2017, one friend of mine had one more tent. So she put it on the car to go to Araraquara city. We arrived there and started to set things up. Before getting in the accommodation, I felt the tent packing was too light, but I didn’t even worry. When I opened the packing, there was only the canvas, the sticks weren’t there. Me and my friend decided to improvise: we took some chairs and, when we opened the canvas to put it on the top, we saw many larvae inside of it. My friend remembered one guy we met in the accommodation line that had an extra tent. So we borrowed it. In the end, everything worked out very well and I had a tent!” Débora Romanini (Journalism student)

Image Source: Personal Archive/Débora Romanini

2017, JUCA in Araraquara city: “I shared my tent with two friends. When I arrived in the accommodation, my friend had already built the tent, but what we didn’t know yet was that it would fall apart in the next day! We woke up after the first party night and our tent was mysteriously wrecked: the sticks did not stand up and the canvas was torn on its side.” Chiara Zancheta (former Journalism student)

Image Source: Personal Archive/Chiara Zancheta

JUCA (Communication and Arts University Games) 2018

When: April 28th until May 1st

Where: São Carlos city, São Paulo – Brazil

Júlia Pereira

Casper Libero '20

Journalism student at Cásper Líbero University.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.