This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The Emmy Award is the main ceremony among American TV awards. The first happened in 1949 and since then several big TV programs have been honored with the prize. In 2019 Game Of Thrones, from HBO, won the principal statue of Outstanding Drama Series.

This year, the ceremony will be celebrated on September 20th with Jimmy Kimmel as the host. The nominations for the 72nd Emmy Awards were announced on July 28.

Watchmen, by HBO, is the most nominated production, running for 26 categories. 

In “Outstanding Drama Series” we have huge successes: Better Call Saul, The Handmaid’s Tale, The Crown, The Mandalorian, Ozark, Stranger Things, Killing Eve and Succession.

So, check here some nominated shows that you need to watch before the award:

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Amazon Prime’s series is running for 20 nominations and is included in the Outstanding Comedy Series with The Good Place, Insecure, The Kominski Method and others. From director Amy Sherman-Palladino (Yes! The same as Gilmore Girls), the series takes place in 1950 and presents the story of a young woman who reinvents herself after discovering an impressive talent.

The three seasons of this series are already available on Amazon Prime.

Better Call Saul

With 18 nominations, the original Netflix series competes in the Outstanding Drama Series. The production has five seasons and tells the story and secrets of Breaking Bad lawyer James Morgan, six years before his first appearance.

The sixth and last season of the series will go on air in 2021. Meanwhile, the previous ones are available on Netflix.

The Handmaid’s Tale

The series is based on the book by Canadian writer Margaret Atwood, from 1985, and narrates the story of a dystopian society in which a caste regime is established, militarized in which several rights are negated, especially women. The production has three seasons and has already won the Emmy for Outstanding Drama Series in 2017 — as well as other statuettes.

This year, the series directed by Bruce Miller is competing in ten categories and is available on Globoplay and Foxplay.

Ozark

Outstanding Drama Series, Outstanding Actor in Drama Series (with Jason Bateman) and Laura Linney as Outstanding Actress in Drama Series are some of the 18 nominations of this show. Involving themes such as capitalism, the production follows the story of Marty Bird and his wife who, upon moving to Ozark, discover dark surprises about the activities in place.

As an original Netflix production, it has three seasons and has been renewed for its fourth.

Watchmen

With 26 nominations, the series is a dystopia that includes superheroes, action and drama. Based on the stories of the graphic novel, published in 1987, Watchmen (DC Comics) by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons, the show is a continuation of the events that happened in comics. It tells the story of Regina King and detective Angela Abar, in a mysterious and dystopian setting. 

Scripted by Damon Lindelof for HBO, the mini-series has nine episodes and is available on HBO Go.

Succession

As an HBO production, this TV show is running in 18 categories, including Outstanding Drama Series. In addition, many actresses and actors were nominated for other categories of the night.

Succession is the story of a powerful family, but with many conflicts between their members. The patriarch, Logan Roy (Brian Cox), is the owner of a media empire and his four sons dispute to secure their place as the next owner of the business.

The series is now available on HBO Go.

The Kominsky Method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjuOTlf5Jb0

Even with only three nominations, this series attracts attention. The Kominsky Method is a 2018 Netflix production created by Chuck Lorre, who is known for producing other successful shows including Two and a Half Men and The Big Bang Theory.

The production, which is running for Outstanding Comedy Series, is about two old friends who live their lives in a particularly good mood. The talented Sandy Kominsky, (Michalel Douglas) and his agent Norman Newlander (Alan Arkin) are best friends who thrill and entertain the audience with their stories.

The two seasons are now available on Netflix.

The Crown

With 13 nominations, this Netflix’s original biographical drama follows the reign of Queen Elizabeth II in the United Kingdom since her ascension to the throne. It presents important events in world history and narrates some aspects of her personal life as well as all the politics of the monarchy.

Some of the nominations for the Emmy are: Outstanding Drama Series, Olivia Colman as Outstanding Lead Actress in Drama Series and Helena Bonham Carter as Outstanding Supporting Actress in Drama Series.

The three seasons of the series are now available at Netflix and the fourth has no release dates yet.

Euphoria

Zendaya, Hunter Schafer, Sydney Sweeney, Algee Smith and Jacob Elordi are part of the cast of this show produced by HBO in 2019. With six nominations, it tells the story of a group of teenagers who have many problems in a world involving sex, drugs and social networks.

Running for Outstanding Lead Actress in Drama Series, Zendaya plays Rue, a 17-year-old girl who is trying to let go of her past and get back to her own life.

The first season is now available on streaming, HBO Go.

Insecure

This series has been attracting praise since its first appearance in 2016. This year it is running for eight Emmy categories, including Outstanding Comedy Series and Outstanding Lead Actress in Comedy Series with Issa Rae, who created the show alongside Larry Wilmore.

It follows the friendship of the protagonists Issa (Issa Era) and Molly (Yvonne Orji). Best friends since college, they have had many experiences, dealing with important internal issues and fighting for their ideals.

The production explores several important themes and social issues, related especially to the black female experience today. 

The series is now available on HBO Go.

Big Little Lies

Laura Dern and the very awarded Meryl Streep are running in the Outstanding Supporting Actress in Drama Series award. Besides those two, the production was also nominated for other statuettes. 

The show takes place in California, where the peaceful lives of three mothers change unexpectedly after events at their sons’ school. Lives are connected when their children get involved in a case of bullying and aggression — very relevant topics these days. In addition to Dern and Streep, the cast also includes Nicole Kidman, Laura Witherspoon, and Shailene Woodley.

Big Little Lies is an HBO series created and written by David E. Kelley. Currently has two seasons available at HBO Go.

Hollywood

This original Netflix production is running in twelve statuettes in the categories of limited series. The historical drama follows a group of enthusiastic and aspiring actors and filmmakers in Hollywood, Los Angeles.

The show takes place in the context of post-World War II and the characters are willing to do everything in order to achieve their dreams. On top of that, the series deals with various themes that were relevant in the 40’s, such as social injustice and racism, gender prejudice and sexuality that, unfortunately, still continues to this day.

This Is Us

Last but not least, we have the family drama This is Us. From 2016, the series is an NBC program and this year, it has five nominations. Sterling K. Brown, who plays Randall Pearson, is running in Outstanding Lead Actor in Drama Series.

This audience success narrates the stories of a group of people born on the same day and touches the viewer. In addition, it brings several subjects of daily life and discusses topics like respect, family relationships and prejudices.

Amazon Prime Video has the first three seasons of the series now available.

——————

This article was edited by Amanda Oestreich.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Karina Almeida

Casper Libero '23

Journalist from São Paulo, Brazil. Passionate about books, cinema and culture.