#10 Series With Less Than 30-Minutes Episodes To Binge-Watch During Vacation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

College vacation is finally arriving, and everyone needs to relax for a while and take a break from all the projects done during the semester. And what better way of doing that than binge-watching great TV series?

Her Campus Casper Libero selected ten of the best shows with less than 30 minutes each episode for you to try this winter! Here they are, from the ones that are still going on to the oldest ones, which are already finished. Check them out below and have fun!

Home Economics

The new TV series by the American channel ABC talks about Connor (Jimmy Tatro), Sarah (Caitlin McGee) and Tom (Topher Grace), siblings who are married,  have kids and, also, a difficult relationship with each other – as typical relatives who fight all the time. While Connor, portrayed as the silly brother, has gained a lot of money through his job, Sarah and Tom find themselves in difficult situations regarding money. Sarah can’t find a good job and Tom is an unrecognized writer.

The seven episodes from the first season were already released and you can watch them while waiting for the second one – that has already been confirmed by the channel. It’s a funny series and you will probably relate to all the bickering from the trio if you also have brothers or sisters.

Younger

Younger is about Liza Miller (Sutton Foster), a 40-year-old woman who recently got divorced and can’t find a job anywhere, since she spent her years of marriage as a housewife, taking care of her daughter. But someday, after going to a bar and being mistaken for a 20-year-old girl by Josh (Nico Tortorella), she decides to pretend she is 26. With the help of her best friend Maggie Amato (Debi Mazar), she starts to dress and act like one to get a job at a book publishing company in New York City.

We follow her journey of pretending to be younger, falling in love again, making friends with the “millenials” and living a life completely different from what she was used to. The series has just come to an end, after seven seasons, and you can binge-watch it on Amazon Prime Video.

You Me Her

Emma (Rachel Blanchard) and Jack Trakarsky (Greg Poehler) are a married couple who are having trouble during sex and decide to hire Izzy Silva (Priscilla Faia), a young escort, to try to solve their problems in bed. However, the couple ends up falling in love with her and she starts feeling the same for them.

The show ended last year and on its five seasons, we follow the adventures of a “throuple”, dealing with the ups and downs of a polyamorous relationship, with its joys and all the intolerance from family and friends they experience at the beggining. Everything is available on Netflix, so don’t lose your time and start watching it!

One Day at a Time

The reboot of the 1970s’ sitcom with the same title is about the Alvarez family: Penelope (Justina Machado), a single mother and veteran; Lydia (Rita Moreno), her mother and “abuelita” to her kids; Elena (Isabella Goméz), her oldest child; and Alex (Marcel Ruiz), the younger one. They are a Cuban-American family living in the United States, that will make you laugh all the time, or even cry if you identify with what they are going through.

During the four seasons, we see them dealing with important questions, such as the racism suffered by immigrants, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) experienced by veterans after coming back from war, homophobia and gender identity. However, the series would still be going on if Netflix hadn’t suddenly canceled it in 2019. The producers tried to transfer it to another network on the fourth season, but the pandemic made it difficult to continue with the show, so it got cancelled again and, for good, upsetting the fans all around the world.

Full and Fuller House

If you spent hours of your childhood watching the 90s’ sitcom Full House, you probably freaked out when Netflix launched a sequel in 2016. Both sitcoms talk about the Tanner family and their friends. The first one, is about Danny (Bob Saget) and the challenges of raising three daughters after his wife’s death. He did it with the help of Jesse Katsopolis (John Stamos), his brother-in-law, and Joey Gladstone (Dave Coulier), his best friend.

In the sequel, years later, the same thing happens to Danny’s older daughter D.J. Tanner-Fuller (Candace Cameron Bure): her husband dies and she has to raise her three sons with the help of Stephanie Tanner (Jodie Sweetin), one of her sisters, and Kimmy Gibbler (Andrea Barber), her best friend. We follow their lives, with D.J. and Kimmy’s kids and watch them grow up through the show’s five seasons.

New Girl

This underrated show is about Jess Day (Zooey Deschanel), a teacher who gets cheated on by her boyfriend and, after finding out about it, needs to find somewhere else to live. She sees an announcement and decides to live in a room available at an apartment with three guys: Nick Miller (Jake Johnson), a bartender who also just got his heart broken; Schmidt (Max Greenfield), a funny womanizer; and Winston Bishop (Lamorne Morris), a basketball player.

New Girl has seven seasons, in which we know more about Jess’ life with the guys in the apartment and with Cece Parikh (Hannah Simone), her best friend. She deals with their friendship, love lives and jobs.

Author self note: This is one of the best shows I’ve ever watched (and during vacation), so you won’t regret doing the same.

How I Met Your Mother

One of everyone’s favorite sitcom, How I Met Your Mother is about Ted Mosby (Josh Radnor) and his group of best friends: Barney Stinson (Neil Patrick Harris), Lily Aldrin (Alyson Hannigan), Marshall Eriksen (Jason Segel) and Robin Scherbatsky (Cobie Smulders). The series starts with Ted in the future telling his kids about how he met their mother, and the episodes follow the storyline of him telling them his life and love stories until he finally meets their mom nine seasons later.

Besides the plot involving Ted’s journey of finding love, we also see the story of his friends, their careers, relationships and everything. Overall, it’s very similar to the unforgettable Friends (which we’re going to talk about later) – and it’s common to see the fans fighting over which one is better.

Dance Academy

This one is a little unpopular but we promise it is really good! Dance Academy is set in Australia at the National Academy of Dance, an elite dance school where Tara Webster (Xenia Goodwin) is accepted. The plot is about her improving her dance techniques to achieve her dream to be a professional ballet dancer at the country’s official company, while making friends and enjoying her new life in Sidney.

There are other great characters like Kat Karamakov (Alicia Banit) and Sammy Lieberman (Tom Green), her closest friends at the academy, and Abigail Armstrong (Dena Kaplan), Tara’s rival in dance.

That 70’s Show

Set in the 1970’s, That 70’s Show is about a group of teenagers who gather around at Eric Forman’s (Topher Grace) basement almost everyday after school to talk and live their monotonous lives together. Aside from Forman, the group also includes Donna Pinciotti (Laura Prepon), his girlfriend and neighbor, Jackie Burkhart (Mila Kunis); Steven Hyde (Danny Masterson), Michael Kelso (Ashton Kutcher) and Fez (Wilmer Valdemarra).

The eight-season series was responsible for making the lead actors very famous, starring later in other successful productions, like Laura Prepon did in the Netflix’s success Orange Is The New Black.

Friends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRXVQ77ehRQ

Last but not least, Friends, the iconic 90’s series which, until today, is one the most watched sitcoms ever. Can’t be forgotten! The years pass by and it’s still the favorite show of many people from different generations, and that’s why the fans recently got a special episode, almost twenty years after the series finale.

The comedy is about Monica Geller (Courteney Cox), a restaurant chef; Ross Geller (David Schwimmer), Monica’s brother who works in a museum; Rachel Green (Jennifer Aniston), a fashion enthusiast and Ross’ longtime crush; Phoebe Buffay (Lisa Kudrow), a massage therapist and musician; Joey Tribbiani (Matt LeBlanc), an actor; and Chandler Bing (Matthew Perry), the sarcastic friend whose job no one really knows about. They are neighbors or live close to each other and hang out all the time at Monica’s apartment or at the café Central Perk.

Liked our tips? We hope these suggestions help you to have a relaxing and exciting July vacation! Try and enjoy!

——————————————————————

The article above was edited by Helena Cardoso.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Milena Casaca

Casper Libero '24

Journalism student at Cásper Líbero. Bookworm, huge binge-watcher of any good tv show and cat lover.