10 movies and TV shows that are great portraits of mother-daughter relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Over the years, cinema and TV have always told stories about motherhood. With different premises, narratives, and family cycles, despite the similarities, each one is told in a unique and special way.

With that in mind, we’ve put together a list of 10 special movies and series for you to watch. Go check it out!

Mamma Mia!

Released in 2008, the musical comedy tells the story of Donna (Meryl Streep) and Sophie (Amanda Seyfried). On the Greek island of Kalokairi, while the daughter’s wedding is being prepared, she invites three of her mother’s ex-boyfriends, hoping to find out which one is her real father.

With songs inspired by ABBA, the film also has a sequel released in 2018. Titled “Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again” the second feature shows Donna’s arrival on the island and her first encounter with the three boys. Also, it shows her relationship with her mother, Ruby (Cher).

Gilmore Girls

When we talk about productions that portray mother-daughter relationships, it’s obvious that this classic could not be left out. For seven seasons, we learned more about the story of Lorelai (Lauren Graham) and her daughter, Rory (Alexis Bledel).

While Lorelai was a young mother at sixteen, we meet her daughter at the same age. Thus, the series follows different stages of their lives and how even with disagreements one always counts on the help of the other.

Little Women

Directed by Greta Gerwig (director of “Barbie”, the long-awaited live-action), the latest adaptation of the homonym book was released in 2020. In the story, we are introduced to the four sisters, Jo (Saoirse Ronan), Meg (Emma Watson), Amy (Florence Pugh), and Beth (Eliza Scanlen), and we follow their maturity as the United States goes through the Civil War.

In addition, due to their totally different personalities and the challenges faced in their trajectories, the relationship of the four with their mother (Laura Dern) becomes essential for the course of the plot.

Freaky Friday

Starring Lindsay Lohan and Jamie Lee Curtis, the 2000s Disney film shows a conflicted relationship between a mother and her teenage daughter. However, while eating fortune cookies at a Chinese restaurant, they suddenly end up switching bodies.

During the film, they need to learn to deal with each other’s lives, coming to understand their individual issues and improving the relationship itself.

To the delight of Gen Z, this week, Disney announced a sequel, with the two actresses in the lead roles – still without a release date.

Turning Red

Released in 2022 on Disney +, this Pixar animation addresses issues of adolescence transition. When the protagonist (Meilin) ​​gets very nervous or agitated, she turns into a big red giant panda – something that is passed down from generation to generation, as a kind of “curse”.

From this premise, it is possible to see her maturation process, in addition to the importance of her relationship with her friends and family, especially with her mother.

Mother’s Day

Starring Julia Roberts, Jennifer Aniston, Kate Hudson, and Jason Sudeikis, the film, released in 2016, tells stories that intersect in an unusual way, all associated with motherhood.

In these five trajectories, we are introduced to Sandy, a single mother with two children; Bradley, a single father of a teenage daughter; Jesse, who has a complicated relationship with her mother; Kristin, who never knew her biological mother, and Miranda (a writer who needs to give up having children in favor of her career). Therefore, this romantic comedy is a beautiful way to witness different maternal relationships.

Modern Family

With eleven seasons, the sitcom tells the story of a large family, divided into three other groups. In one, Claire (Julie Bowen) and Phil Dunphy (Ty Burrell) are the parents of Haley (Sarah Hyland), Alex (Ariel Winter), and Luke (Nolan Gould). In this comic and emotional relationship, we see how parents seek to take care of their children in the best way.

However, the narration and the story itself are divided into the events of these three cores. Still, over the seasons, there is a kind of breaking of the “fourth wall”, with a hidden narration made by each of the family members.

Minha Mãe é uma Peça

In this Brazilian feature, Paulo Gustavo pays a beautiful tribute to his mother, Déa Lúcia. In it, Dona Hermínia, previously played by the comedian, is a mother of two children, Marcelina (Mariana Xavier) and Juliano (Rodrigo Pandolfo). The film shows the disagreements in the lives of the three but also brings a beautiful message about a mother’s love.

Still, the story has two more productions that left Paulo Gustavo’s career exciting!

Ginny and Georgia

Released in 2021 and currently with three seasons, this Netflix series tells the story of Georgia (Brianne Howey) who, with her two children, struggles to stabilize and fit in some city.

However, while the teenage daughter, Ginny (Antonia Gentry), seeks to adapt to the new city and new colleagues, the mother’s turbulent past ends up appearing again, bringing new conflicts for both.

Brave

Launched in 2012, this Disney animation tells the story of Princess Merida, who was raised by her mother, according to the rules of etiquette, to be the perfect successor. However, the girl feels that she doesn’t have the slightest vocation for it and prefers to go horseback riding and practice archery.

In the face of their disagreements, when a competition is organized to choose her future husband, the princess searches for a witch, asking for her help to change her mother. The biggest problem occurs with the effect of the spell, which transforms the queen into something unexpected. In the course of history, the two need to understand each other, improving their relationship and strengthening their bonds.

Finally, on this Mother’s Day, what do you think about marathoning some content on this list? We believe they made your day even warmer!

👯‍♀️ Related: 210 years of Pride and Prejudice: 7 adaptations you must watch

The article above was edited by Juliana Sanches.

Like this type of content? Check out Her Campus Cásper Líbero for more.

Fernanda Alves

Casper Libero '25

Future journalist, writer in training and lover of culture.