This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

This past week I was invited to watch and review Shotgun Theatre’s production of Little Women at the Barnfield Theatre. Despite my English degree, I have to admit I have not read Alcott’s book. I have, however, seen the movie adaptation with Timothée Chalamet. Shotgun’s production did not have Timothée Chalamet in it but I will forgive them because they made up for it with everything else.

Little Women follows the lives of four sisters: Jo (Maddie Mckinnon-Wardell), Meg (Scarlett Cole), Amy (Poppy Thomas) and Beth (Sophia Pettit). Their father is fighting in the American Civil War while they stay at home with their mother whom they call Marmee (Nina Fitton). It is a coming of age story, showcasing the different paths down which life can take you.

Unlike the previous Shotgun production I reviewed (The Last 5 Years), there was significant dialogue throughout the musical, which added a layer of difficulty for the actors since they had to switch from common speech to belting in a single beat. I was honestly mesmerised by the singing, especially the harmonizing that happened in almost every song. I consider the casting was done perfectly when considering voices since they all merged so well together. It is clear the cast spent significant time working and perfecting these musical numbers and it was a delight to watch. I do want to give a special mention to Nina Fitton and her rendition of ‘Here Alone’ for her incredible delivery. It was an emotional song, performed beautifully and did not miss a single beat.

Personally, my favorite performer was Charlie Hollingworth as Aunt March. The characterisation was impeccable, and I could perfectly see the relationship her character had with everyone else in the show. Her line delivery along with her singing were perfect and the mannerisms and flair she brought to the character made her that much more memorable. Props to her for such a well-rounded performance.

The ensemble is one element that truly made the show for me. The use of the varying levels of the stage during the moments when Jo was reading her story were so well timed and choreographed. I would have thought it would take away from the actual story but it added a lot of dimension and kept me engaged. I also particularly liked the choreography during ‘An Operatic Tragedy,’ the implication of the use of swords throughout it perfectly matched the tone of the song and was thoroughly entertaining to watch.

I also need to give a special mention to the orchestra and the phenomenal job they did throughout the entire performance. Not a note or beat out of place despite being so close to each other and the stage. As a person with no musical ability whatsoever, I would be incredibly distracted by those around me and the constant different notes playing, but they are clearly professionals, and deserve a massive standing ovation of their own for the impeccable performance they put on. Props to the actors aswell, because even when the microphones were not picking up or the orchestra was reaching points of crescendo, their angelic voices were still comfortably heard throughout the theatre.

Overall, Shotgun’s Little Women was an entertaining, refreshing and heart-warming musical about family, love and growth; and that is exactly what they delivered. As I said in my previous review, other people’s reactions are the true testament of how good a performance has been, and since I left the venue with ringing ears due to the deafening cheers, I have to say this musical is definitely worth a watch.

MA Publishing student from Spain giving writing a go.