How to Get Through the Mid-Semester Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Case chapter.

It’s officially that time of year: the leaves are changing, the weather is getting colder, and midterms are upon us.  As the semester becomes increasingly more stressful, it’s easy to get lost in all your piles of work and endless obligations.  Luckily, there are plenty of simple ways for you to unwind when you need it most.

1. Take deep breaths.

This time of the semester can be overwhelming. Whenever you feel like you just can’t even anymore, remember to breathe. You’ll feel much better if you take a few minutes to jusst relax when you’re overloaded.

2. Listen to your favorite music.

Make studying fun by creating a playlist that’s sure to put you in a good mood. Check out these throwbacks as a starting point!

3. Turn on the Netflix.

It’s prefectly okay to take a mental break every once in a while.  And what better way to relax than with Netflix?! A half hour of tv time will take your mind off all that stress. Just be sure not to get sucked into an 8-hour binge!

4. Go for the nap.

Naps are not just for kindergarteners (this should be everyone’s motto). Short naps can give you just the energy you need, especially when you know you’ll be pulling late nights. Remember, try not to nap for more than an hour so you don’t wake up more tired than before you went to sleep!

5. Pace yourself.

Procrastinating will always be your enemy. Space out your work so that you don’t have to cram for that big test or rush through that paper the night before. Not only will you produce better quality work, but you also won’t mentally exhaust yourself if you work on a little bit each day.

Anna is a Pre-Law English and Political Science major, minoring in Philosophy and Spanish. In her spare time, Anna enjoys listening to music, keeping up with the latest fashion and beauty trends, and spending time with her pomeranian named Teddy.