This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

Most of last week, social media was teeming with Ariana Grande fans, and romantic comedy fans, highly anticipating the hit “Thank U, Next” music video. The song was already a bop among girls who were one Ariana Grande track away from abandoning men altogether. The song tracks Grande’s past dating life with exes Ricky, Big Sean, Mac Miller, and Pete Davidson, and although each relationship may have been a painful experience for her, it shows that you can move past the pain and find peace within yourself instead.

Ariana’s year has been a hard one involving terrorist attacks at her own concert, an engagement that was called off, and the death of her ex-boyfriend, Mac. While the first verse talks about these experiences, the chorus is an anthem for what she learned through them and acknowledges that these experiences made her better. The pop singer then goes on to talk about how she’s happy being in a relationship with herself right now.

The video was produced to pay homage to romantic comedies that feature strong female characters and include Mean Girls, Bring It On, Legally Blonde, and 13 Going on 30. Ariana portrays herself in iconic scenes from all of the movies, showing her strong, independent side, embracing her sexuality, and showing what self-care truly looks like. The song has already helped her in breaking both Spotify and YouTube records and has been critically acclaimed by many, including the original actors in the romantic comedies that “Thank U, Next” portrays, including Reese Witherspoon and Mark Ruffalo.

“Thank U, Next” is the 2018 self-love anthem, and we here at Her Campus Carthage were inspired to make this our first theme for our 5 Days of Giveaways. Check out our Instagram to enter to win our self-care #SurvivalKits!

Emily is a senior at Carthage College double majoring in English, with an emphasis in creative writing, and theatre, with an emphasis in costume design. She has also studied writing at Columbia University in the City of New York and The Second City - Chicago. Some of Emily's talents include eating large portions of pasta, quoting 80s romantic comedies, and unwanted Louis Armstrong impressions. These will all be very useful for her future career in television writing and producing.
Jane Eckles

Carthage '19

Jane graduated from Carthage College in May 2019 with a degree in English and Secondary Education. She is from Merced, California, which is close enough to San Fransisco for her to confirm that the City by the Bay is her absolute favorite. When she's not teaching or writing articles, she can be found collecting any book she can get her hands on, watching Netflix, staring mindlessly into the void, or napping.