Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Organizations on Campus

Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion organizations are constantly emerging on Carthage’s campus thanks to the variety of people committed to promoting these ideas. If you're interested in being a part of the DEI initiatives on campus, here’s a list of just some of the organizations on campus dedicated to the cause:

1G - First Generation Club

President: Maham Ali ([email protected])

Meetings: Clausen Center 205 every Tuesday at 6p

“The mission of 1G is to develop a sense of community and camaraderie between students who are first-generation college students navigating through higher education. It's a student-led organization dedicated to helping not only students who will be among the first in their family to get a bachelor’s degree, but also students who are undocumented/DACA/low income, and all students who identify with an underrepresented experience on campus. The goal is to help students excel in their first year of college and beyond through community building activities, mentorships, volunteer opportunities, and much more.” -Maham Ali ‘19

Asian Pacific Islander Coalition of Carthage

President: Ashley DeLay ([email protected])

Meetings: Varies

“Asian Pacific Islander Coalition of Carthage, commonly known as APACC, is a DEI organization that works to provide the AAPI community and their allies a vehicle for increasing awareness and visibility on campus. This organization promotes culture and self-identity development by exploring and learning different cultures and the various experiences among our members. This group aims to empower students in leadership skills and activism within their community and at Carthage. The most important thing is that this organization has helped me find a sense of home and comfort in coming to Carthage.” -Rejiemay Canda ‘20 (Vice President of APACC)

Black Student Union

President: Nateya Taylor ([email protected])

Meetings: TWC 128B every Monday at 6:30p

“Black Student Union is dedicated to inclusion and unity. Our goal is to create a safe environment for students of color on campus and also be educators. Black Student Union is open to all students.” -Nateya Taylor '20

Special Olympics Club at Carthage

President: Lyndsey Bielinski ([email protected])

Meetings: Niemann Theater every Monday at 9p

“The purpose of S.O. Club is to connect students and individuals with intellectual disabilities through sport and advocacy campaigns to build friendships and help the social justice movement of the Special Olympics. Throughout the year we hold various volunteering events, guest speakers, and on-campus events to help include the student body in our work. Our biggest event of the year is held in the spring when we have our annual Special Olympics Basketball Game.” -Lyndsey Bielinski ‘20

Students Against Sexism in Society

Co-presidents: Alissa Marek-Spartz and Tori Jadczak ([email protected] or [email protected])

Meetings: HL 217 every Monday at 6p

“S.A.S.S. is an organization committed to promoting awareness of gender issues, gender inequality, sexual health, and feminist ideals at Carthage College. We often devote each meeting to a specific topic so we learn about it then spend time discussing the application. Some topics we have already covered this year are intersectionality and privilege, the wage gap, the Ford/Kavanaugh hearing, and toxic masculinity. All are welcome to join; we value any additional perspectives on the issues we discuss.” -Alissa Marek-Spartz ‘19

United Women of Color

President: Adwoa KanKam ([email protected])

Meetings: HL 172 every Wednesday at 5p

“UWC is an inclusive organization that aims to unite and strengthen women of color at Carthage. Through UWC, women of color have a platform to be seen and heard by an inclusive organization aimed to unite and empower women. UWC is not only exclusive to women of color but also to ‘allies.’” -Adwoa KanKam ‘19

Don’t hesitate to reach out to any of these organizations’ leaders if you're interested in joining. Even if you know you will not be able to attend the meetings, you can still contact the leaders, so you can be added to the mailing list. This way you’ll be able to stay up to date with meeting minutes and any upcoming events they have.