8 Ways to Restyle Your Life (Without Moving to Another Country)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

Let’s face it: life sometimes sucks. I can’t count the number of times I’ve wanted to fake my own death and move to Acapulco. But running away from your problems isn’t always the best way to solve it (unless there’s literally a fire). So when you’re feeling overwhelmed, or just bored with the way things are, sometimes the best thing to do is to make minor adjustments to your life. Trust me, they’ll go a long way.

1. Clean your room

If you’re living in a crowded space, you’re certain to be a little stressed. Your surroundings should be welcoming and open, so take the time to clean a little. You can throw away those empty wrappers, recycle those old papers and make your bed. It doesn’t have to be anything big, like taking all of your old clothes to Goodwill, but if you spend even just five minutes cleaning you’ll feel like you’re in a totally different place.

2. Drop those “fair-weather friends”

A fair-weather friend is a person who only hangs out with you when it’s good for them. They’ll text you when their other friends are busy or if they’re bored and you’re the most convenient option. You deserve friends who want to be there for you and hang out with you, so if you can identify who these people are in your life and stop dedicating so much of your time to them, I promise you’ll feel so much better. Besides, friendships are meant to be a two-way street, so why waste your time with somebody whose unwilling to hold up their end of the bargain?

3. Eat healthier

Disgusting, I know. But hear me out. Just pick one meal a day and make it a little healthier. Even if you’re busy and running around all day with barely a moment to actually eat a proper meal, just make a split-second decision to grab a granola bar instead of a bag of chips. Opt for the side of fruit instead of the fries. I’m not saying you have to start meal prepping or counting calories, but just eating one vegetable a week will make you feel like a changed person.

4. Start journaling

“Dear Diary” aren’t just words your fifth-grade self should be writing. Studies show that journaling can help you gain control of your emotions and thoughts while helping you manage anxiety. Now you don’t have to journal every day nor do you have to follow any particular theme (I’m looking at you, bullet journals) but write whatever feels right for you. This is meant to be your own private arena where you can discuss whatever you want, so don’t worry about grammatical errors or spelling mistakes. Just go for it!

5. Get a pet

Now if you live in the dorms or in certain apartments you might be limited in choices, but caring for a living thing is something that will give you structure in your day-to-day routines. Studies have proven that people with pets have lower heart rates and blood pressure than those who don’t. Pets are an important and supportive part of their owner’s life, and they’ll love you unconditionally.

6. Cut your hair

At the risk of sounding a bit cliché, “new ‘do, new you!” Even just getting a simple cut can make you feel like you can start over. A haircut can make you look better (and feel better) and all you have to do is sit still for a bit.

7. Make a bucket list or a dream board

Some people are visual learners. They like to visualize what they want to accomplish and they like seeing their goals written down in front of them. If this sounds like you, then get writing! By writing down your long-term goals or even just things that you just really want to do but don’t think you’ll ever get around to, this is a great way to make you start believing in your own dreams again. It can bring your hopes to life.

8. Let go of your regrets

They’ll only hold you back. Life happens in the moments that are here and now, and if you spend too much time thinking about what could’ve been and what will never be, you might miss something important. You can’t change your history, so let it go.

Despite all of these tips, the most important thing you can do to restyle your life is to just accept yourself. Whether you like it or not, you’re stuck with you for the rest of your life. You’re going to face heartbreak and rejection. You’ll experience joy. Happiness. Misery. Love. But none of that will mean a thing if you can’t enjoy life even just a little bit. So do whatever it takes for you to find your courage to do things that you genuinely enjoy. Go on that road trip. Buy that Patagonia. Change your major. Eat an entire gallon of ice cream. Take the leap and do what makes you happy. Because once that happens, you’ll be unstoppable.

Jane Eckles

Carthage '19

Jane graduated from Carthage College in May 2019 with a degree in English and Secondary Education. She is from Merced, California, which is close enough to San Fransisco for her to confirm that the City by the Bay is her absolute favorite. When she's not teaching or writing articles, she can be found collecting any book she can get her hands on, watching Netflix, staring mindlessly into the void, or napping.