8 Ways to Master Time Management as a Collegiette

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

Anxiety, exhaustion, and stress. All common words college students use to describe student life. But what if there was a way to be a college student without the depressing side effects?

When you learn to maintain good time management you’ll find yourself liberated from crushing deadlines and general stress. You’ll find yourself being more productive, procrastinating less and able to relax more often, which can decrease stress and anxiety. Everyday stress and anxiety is a given, but often a few extra steps can help eliminate excess deterrents. However, you should still be aware of anxiety disorders, as these can be a serious issue. Here are a few tips for finding your lost inner serenity.

Photo courtesy of Pexels

1. Find your most productive time

First, determine what time of day you’re most productive. You’ll be able to work more efficiently during the time of day you’re naturally more dynamic.

2. Make a to-do list every day

Every night before you go to bed, or right away each morning, lay out your tasks to accomplish for the day. Place the most important tasks at the top, even if they’re things you are dreading the most, and apply yourself to them first. In your list, include things you want to do too, that way you’ll have items to motivate you as well.

3. Keep your work with you

If you ever find yourself with extra time, such as if a class finished early, a meeting got canceled, etc., you can tackle something from your to-do list.

4. Don’t be afraid to say no

You don’t have to feel obligated to go to every social event your friends want to. You’ll enjoy socializing more when you don’t have a deadline hanging over your head.

5. Stop multitasking

Multitaskers tend to think they are more productive when they are doing more than one thing at once, but let’s face it, our minds work more efficiently when we can truly concentrate on one task. So put that phone on do not disturb, and take a break from sending selfies to your current fling.

6. Set deadlines

Make yourself a deadline and do your best to stick to it. There is no point in setting deadlines if you constantly push them back. Set your deadline with ample time before the task absolutely has to be completed. This way you have flexibility, in case other things get in the way.

7. Reward yourself

Celebrate your accomplishments! How you celebrate is completely up to you but generally, a good rule is to keep it healthy and something you truly enjoy. Make sure to be conscious of time management and don’t do this in excess, and don’t let it cause you to procrastinate getting back on task.

8. Get a good night’s sleep

Your mind and body need rest to function most efficiently. You can’t rely on Starbucks daily to be productive. An ample amount of sleep is the best way to function at your peak.

Not every method of time management is a solution for everyone. Like your favorite sweater or pair of shoes, what works well for you may not work for the next person. After some trial and error, you’ll be able to find a rhythm that works for you.

Rep image courtesy of Pexels

Johnelle is a sophomore at Carthage College, pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in Graphic Design and minor in Photography. She is originally from Stratford, Wisconsin, where the cattle to people relationship is 5:1. When she can't be found running for cross country or track & field she can be found with her camera to her face snapping pictures or in a cozy blanket/pillow fort working on graphics (or occasionally catching up on her favorite TV episodes).