Here’s why you should start reading poetry books

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Poetry books often get a bad reputation for not being “real books” or being lesser than other novels. However, there are many benefits to reading poetry. Here are the top reasons why you should start reading poetry books!

It can get you out of a reading slump

Reading poetry books is a great way to start reading for fun. Perhaps you’re a burnt-out-former-middle-school-book-geek who would finish 500-page novels in one day but hasn’t read anything other than assigned academic readings in years; maybe you never tried reading for fun, but you’re looking to start. No matter who you are, poetry is a great way to feel the accomplishment of reading a book without being overwhelmed by a time-consuming novel.

Reading poetry Can improve your vocabulary

Exposing yourself to collections of work by many different poets is a great way to improve your vocabulary. Poetry is amazing if you’re a writer or just someone who wants to impress family and friends with your knowledge! Try making a note of words you don’t understand so you can search them up later.

Poetry can help expand your view of the world

The magic of poetry is that it often takes everyday experiences and portrays them in unique, meaningful, and artistic ways. By describing elements of the human experience in this way, poetry can change how you view things as you move through new encounters, helping you see the beauty in the world around you.

It can be calming

Reading poetry is a great way to unwind after a long day. While many novels can be overstimulating due to their exciting plot of intense content, poetry can be relaxing bite-sized segments for you to ponder as you ease into your night. Poetry also eliminates the issue of staying up too late trying to finish a novel where you must know what happens next; modern poetry is rarely more than a page in length.

So, this is your sign: pick up some poetry!

Jenna Legge

Carleton '24