Girl Reading A Book In Bed
Girl Reading A Book In Bed
Breanna Coon / Her Campus
Wellness

Things I have Been Doing While Social Distancing — Besides Finishing University Online

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

This past week has been pretty strange for probably a lot of us. I’ve been trying to keep my mind off of this stressful situation, as well as attempting to not get too restless. Here is a list of some of the things I’ve been doing over the past week while social distancing.

Watching all the seasons of Vanderpump Rules

I have never been a Bravo obsessor, but after hearing podcast host Lauren Elizabeth talk nonstop about Vanderpump Rules I thought I would give it a chance. The fact that there are also literally no good new tv shows on right now, is what drew me to watch this masterpiece of trashy reality television, dating all the way back to 2013. This show is just pure gold, from the tacky 2013 outfits to the drunken fights, it literally cannot get any better. And there are plenty of seasons to keep you occupied during the following week of Corona quarantine, to keep your mind off all this craziness.

Listening to The Bitch Bible podcast

This is another thing I am ashamed to say I have been late to the game on, but thanks to social distancing I can make up for this fact. Jackie Schimmel’s Podcast The Bitch Bible is literally everything I need in my life right now. Schimmel literally could not give two f**ks about what people think about her, and honestly, her podcast has really motivated me to do the same. As well, Schimmel is so funny and says what everyone’s thinking, this girl literally has zero filter. As an avid podcast listener, I must say that Schimmel’s podcast is the perfect entertainment to keep your spirits high during this uncertain time.

Reading Jessica Simpson’s new book

I have never listened to a Jessica Simpson song in my life, and I’m not gonna lie, I think her career might have predated my birth. I had no interest in reading this book when it first came out, but every podcast I listened to listed this book as a must-read, and oh boy, let me tell you they were not lying. This autobiography is so entertaining, Simpson spills it all, the title Open Book is definitely not a letdown. Even knowing absolutely nothing about Jessica Simpson, I have to say this book, just like the other activities on this list, was a great source of entertainment, and was great in focussing my attention away from this current situation that we are all in.

Organizing my bedroom

As many of you are likely moving back home, or have already moved back home for the foreseeable future, it is important to organize the space you will be living/working/sleeping in for the next while. Being stuck in my house with my whole family can feel a little overwhelming at times, so my bedroom has become kind of like my “sanctuary”. Therefore it has become really important for this space to be clean and organized with minimal distractions, as I don’t need the space around me to bring me more stress than I already have. As well, due to the importance of social distancing, my favourite study spaces such as the quiet floor of the library, or a cute coffee shop, are not in the cards these days. For this reason, having a clean and tidy space is more important than ever, helping me stay focused through the end of this now online semester.

Going for daily walks with my mom

Social distancing right now is extremely important, although this does not mean that you have to stop getting fresh air. Being cooped up all day is definitely not good for your physical or mental health, and going for daily walks has been an integral part of not yet going stir crazy over the past week. Going for a walk with my mom, usually before dinner, has been a great way to not only get in some form of exercise since all the gyms have closed, but it has also been a great way to spend time with my mom. However, please stay vigilant when out and about, keep your distance when crossing paths with others on the street (6 feet apart at all times!!!).

I hope some of these ideas will be helpful in keeping your spirits high in these upcoming weeks. I hope everyone stays safe and healthy during this time.

Loves pilates, yoga, contemporary romance novels, and travel. Future field on interest: Public Relations. Will *scream* sing along to any Taylor Swift or Olivia Rodrigo song.