This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Joining a sorority can be one of the most fulfilling experiences in university. You can meet new friends and gain new memories, that you can keep with you forever.

Before you make any decisions about joining a sorority, determine what you want to get out of your university experience.

1.  Do you want to meet new people?

Whether you came to Ottawa not knowing a soul or you came with your best friend, sororities are a good way to expand your friend circle and make connections.

Being in a sorority you’re automatically exposed to so many new friends. You can even make a connection with an alumni of a sorority who might have an in to a job you’re looking for after you graduate.

Outside of the sorority, you will meet even more people who are part of other Greek organizations. They might end up being in your group projects, your best friends or even a significant other.

2.  Do you like belonging to a community?

Were you part of a club or sports team in high school or are you from a big family, and like that larger sense of community? You’ll fit right into a sorority.

Sorority sisters get together to host events, have sisterhoods, volunteer, perform philanthropy acts, and have weekly meetings. Because of the amount of time that is spent together, they see each through all their their high and lows. They become your support system that cheers you on during your proudest moments and picks you up when you’re stuck.

3. Are you looking for leadership opportunities?

If you like being involved with everything and anything, then being in a sorority will give you no choice but to be consumed by city and university life. Greeks are the most involved on campus. They are your frosh leaders, your Student Government, and sometimes, your club executives. They participate in Relay for Life and Run for the Cure, they volunteer at the Ottawa Mission, and raise money for local non-profits.

Within a sorority, you gain valuable work and volunteer experience that can be added to your resume. You can try being the sorority event planner, you can get everyone to fight for a cause you believe in, or you can even run for president.

4. Do you want to focus on your academics?

Sorority sisters have to maintain an academic standard and need to complete study hours. They have committees to help girls with essays, and study prep. When someone is falling behind, the scholarship chair motivates them to get back on track. You’re also bound to have a sister in the same program as you.  This person can become your study buddy and academic cheerleader, so you don’t have to be afraid to go to each together for help during stressful periods.

5. Do you like to be busy?

Sorority girls are socialites. There is always something going on, whether that be the events you have with your sorority, or something going on with other Greek organizations. On top of that, you have school and you may also have a part-time job or other extra- curricular activities.

Yes, It’s all overwhelming at first, but the busy sorority schedule teaches you how to prioritize your time.

At the end of the day you don’t have to go to everything and it’s manageable. Sorority girls juggle having part-time jobs, social lives, volunteering, all while maintaining their scholarships.

6. Do you like to be pushed outside your comfort zone?

You wont be the person you were when you left high school. Sororities have a way of pushing people to be their best selves.

In high school, I hated getting involved. I preferred to sit back and watch other people get involved. When I pledged a sorority, I started taking on leadership roles within my pledge class and the sisters encouraged me to continue to take on leadership roles. Three years later I became the president of my sorority.

If you are looking to have any of these university experiences, you should try rushing a sorority. What you put into your university experience is what you will get out of it, but being part of a sorority will enhance every part.

A fourth-year Journalism student who is all about women empowering other women. She'll be spending her last semester of her undergrad pretending she's a social-lite before she's broke and is dragged back home.