Culture > News

Ontario Universities Held A Walkout Today to Protest New OSAP Changes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Post-secondary students from all around Ontario, including those at Carleton, participated in a student walk-out today to protest the new OSAP changes implemented by the Ford Government.

The new changes include low-income families will no longer receive free tuition in the forms of grants and students will have to pay their student loans right away to avoid interest charges.

Organized by the Carleton University Student’s Association and the Canadian Federation of Students, Carleton students rallied in front of Dunton Tower to show their own objections towards these changes.  On the Facebook event page, 200 people said they were going and 370 said they were interested.

Student speakers attended, talking to the crowd about why it is important to stand up for their rights as tuition-payers.

The Facebook page states that the goal of the rally was to get students to start a conversation to “Provide More Grants NOT loans, Eliminate Tuition Fees for ALL Students, Increase Public Funding for Public Education, Protect Students’ Independent Voices, and Demand the Right to Organize.”

Other post-secondary institutions that held a walkout in Ontario today include Western University, York University, Trent University, the University of Toronto Mississauga, Wilfrid Laurier University, Ryerson University, OCAD University and George Brown College.

Mariam was President at Her Campus Carleton circa 19/20. She's a puppy lover and strives to be Mindy Kaling one day. Hopefully in five years you can find her working on the next most popular true crime series. Bachelor of Journalism '20 - Carleton University