who got married love is blind season 3?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
who got married love is blind season 3?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Patrick Wymore/Netflix © 2022

My Top Three Favourite and Least Favourite TV Couples

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Here are some of my favourite and least favourite TV couples:

My Top 3 Favourite TV Couples

Bob’s Burgers – Bob Belcher and Linda Belcher

Bob and Linda Belcher are a married couple from the TV cartoon series Bob’s Burgers, which started in 2011 and is ongoing. Bob and Linda are parents to three children in the tv series, Tina (14), Gene (12), and Louise (9). Unlike some other TV show couples, Linda and Bob have mutual responsiblility with the kids and with each other. In the episodes, you can see they care about each other and are willing to protect each other, which is shown when Linda jumps in front of a water balloon for Bob so he can stay in the game that will allow them to lower the rent on their storefront in Season 5 Episode 21 – The Oeder Games.

Shadowhunters – Magnus Bane and Alec Lightwood

Magnus Bane, a warlock, and Alec Lightwood, a shadowhunter, are a couple from Shadowhunters, a TV show created by Netflix which ran from 2016-2019 based on the six books by Cassandra Clare within the Mortal Instruments Series. What I like about Alec and Magnus’s relationship is they both find ways to do their jobs effectively while also watching out for the other. They do break up for exactly that reason in Season 2 when Magnus isn’t sure if he can stay with Alec because he has a duty as the high warlock of Brooklyn to protect his people and he is unsure he can do that with Alec. Later on in the series, Magnus comes to the conclusion that they can be together and he can take care of his duty as High Warlock. Yes, it may sound a little cheesy but they both complement each other well and are able to separate their work and personal lives. 

Switched at Brith – Bay Kennish and Travis Barnes

Switched at Birth is a TV show by Freeform that ran from 2011-2017. It was about two young women living separate lives when they discover their parents aren’t their biological parents because the hospital accidentally switched them at birth. Bay Kennish, daughter of John Kennish, a famous baseball star, and Kathryn Kennish, and with an older brother, Toby Kennish, finds out that they are actually not her biological family. Regina Vasquez is her mother and Angelo Sorrento is her father, but Regina has raised Daphne Vasquez, her deaf daughter, who is the Kennish’s biological daughter for the past sixteen years. Daphne originally transfers to Bay’s school because of pressure from her biological father, but eventually transfers back to her all-deaf high school, Carlton School For The Deaf – where Bay also transfers when they start accepting hearing kids, so the school can survive.

Bay meets through her ex-boyfriend, a friend of Daphne’s, Travis Barnes, who is also a deaf student from Carlton. Their relationship is better than the other relationships Bay has been in because he respects her for who she is and doesn’t try to push his expectations of what a “girlfriend” should be onto her, and she supports his dreams and isn’t let down by him for that. I never thought I’d think Bay and Travis were end game; I had always been rooting for Team Emmett but I rewatched the show this past year and Travis was a perfect match for her in every way.

My 3 Least Favourite TV Couples

Switched at Brith – John and Kathryn Kennish

John and Kathryn Kennish should NOT be a couple let alone married with kids. John is so controlling over his daughters’ lives it’s a wonder they still speak to him by the end of the series. John and Kathryn actually take a break in Season 3, when he cheats on her with his son’s fiancee’s mother – which was just a “drunken kiss.” Kathryn realizes in this season that she is not happy with her life or with her marriage – they later get back together for god knows what reason, other than the fact that he gave her a grand gesture of his love. They have nothing in common, which Kathryn states when they break up and it’s true afterwards, too.

Kathryn is a fun, bubbly, light-hearted person and a good mother to her kids – she tries her very best to make everyone feel welcome in her home. John, on the other hand, is a hard-working businessman who tries to manipulate everyone around him for his gain or his twisted sense of morals. Throughout the series, I didn’t like John. He irritated my own feminist spirit but I knew I hated him when he blew up at his son for having a baby with down syndrome and not aborting it when both his son and his son’s girlfriend wanted the baby. I’m pro-choice and I’m glad they were choosing to have it.

Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated – Shaggy Rogers and Velma Dinkley

I loved the Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated TV series! I thought the plot was wild and interesting and I still love it even now. But, the one thing they did in the series that annoyed me was when they put Shaggy and Velma into a relationship… why!? Why did they do that? And why of all things did she give him an ultimatum between her or Scooby – we all knew who was going to win that one. It wasn’t necessary for the storyline, in my opinion, and it just made the friend dynamic really awkward for a few episodes. 

Love is Blind – Matt and Colleen

Now, I could write a whole article on what is wrong with Love is Blind and the couples that I don’t like within each season. But, Colleen and Matt really rubbed me the wrong way this year. In the show, we only knew about Matt until after Cole rejected her, even the show producers I think were leaning in the direction of Colleen and Cole as a couple but alas they didn’t get engaged. Matt was a surprise and at first, I thought he was a good surprise until he wasn’t. Matt became a fire-cracker but not a good one: he flipped out on Colleen when she had talked to Cole in the pool and then almost BROKE-UP with her because she went out clubbing instead of coming home to him. I’m sorry, but you need to let your partner breathe a little and if that’s the beginning of the relationship I am not excited to see the finish. 

Have a favourite or least favourite TV show couple? DM @hccarleton to be featured on our story!

Dahra Gillen

Carleton '25

Dahra Gillen is a third-year journalism student minoring in disability studies. She has ten food allergies, dairy, peanuts, tree-nuts, eggs, oats, mustard, kiwi, pineapple, chia and penicillin. In her free time she enjoys creative writing, reading and music.