Meet the Her Campus Carleton Team: Mariam Abdel-Akher

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

My name is Mariam and I am the senior editor for Her Campus Carleton! My role is to take a look at requested submissions and edit them into proper style.

I’m originally from Ottawa, and I chose to stay and go to Carleton because it has one of the best journalism programs in Canada. I am so relieved to have stayed and had the chance to work with the Her Campus Carleton team.

One thing, other than writing, I enjoy to do is singing and playing the guitar. There’s nothing like sitting at home, playing my favourite songs, and singing along to the tune. Along with my pastimes, I enjoy cooking, drawing on occasion, playing soccer, swimming, and reading.

The most thrilling thing I’ve ever done is go skydiving. It was a surreal experience that I think everyone should try once in their lives. Personally, I was afraid of heights and I still can’t believe I jumped out a plane to this day.

My motto is ‘I’m not just looking to survive, I’m looking to strive,’ and that’s how I go day to day, unknown as to what is coming next. I believe in living in the now, not thinking of the future or the past.

So, for now I’m going to stay true to myself, my family, and my friends. If you ever feel like submitting something to be published on our page (or even just saying hello), you can email me at senioreditor.hccarleton@gmail.com

For now, I encourage everyone out there to live in the now. The breeze is so nice over here.

Mariam was President at Her Campus Carleton circa 19/20. She's a puppy lover and strives to be Mindy Kaling one day. Hopefully in five years you can find her working on the next most popular true crime series. Bachelor of Journalism '20 - Carleton University