This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

I had a tough time in high school, and I still struggle with the ups and downs of everyday life. I think a lot of people have had similar experiences to mine, where they were lost and couldn’t find themselves until a real turning point crashed into their lives.

My story begins in the middle of Grade 11, at age 16, when I always had an uneasiness in the pit of my stomach. My life was just going okay at the time, I wasn’t really active, I was constantly getting into fights with my few close friends and family, and I felt sick all the time. But, I also was in the musical that year, my grades weren’t actually that bad, and for the most part I was getting through a really confusing time of my life.

That’s where it all turned. In March 2014 I found out I had leukemia, a type of blood cancer. When I found out, I was crying and confused; I couldn’t understand what was happening to me.

I lived like this for the next few months. I was still in a state of shock and constantly denied to myself that I had cancer. I didn’t go to school, I didn’t see my friends, I slept all day, then eventually I had to face the biggest challenge of my life: severe depression while going through intensive chemotherapy.

Not only was I starting to feel a real divide with the life I left behind, but every single time I looked in the mirror I didn’t feel feminine because I had no hair at all. People would stare at me when I went out and I could feel the pity within their eyes.I hated it.

I stopped even wanting to be happy. I told myself if I was going to go through this, then I might as well just let it overtake me. I began to fall into this hole and I was not able to climb back up. Days upon days I would lay in my bed, hoping it would all get better by itself. I would cry hopelessly because I was too weak to even move from the amount of chemotherapy in my veins.

But, then one day I woke up. I realized it was okay to ask for help among the people around me. I told my mom, my doctors, and my friends, that I was really having a hard time. They said they would help me, and they did. I began talking to someone about feeling this divide from my past life, and losing a lot of control over my body, emotionally and physically.

As time moved slowly through my treatments, I was able to just be. I came to grasp what I was facing and although it didn’t come without some complications, I was able to get through it with my support system.

Eventually, my treatment did end. I never returned to high school because I was home-schooled for the time I was sick and was fine with it. I took a year off and then jumped straight into university, where I was able to really find myself.

I can say I’ve found who I really want to be, and I have the greatest people around me to support me. It’s okay to have a life curve like mine. Whether it be big or small, it’s important. If I hadn’t gotten the help I needed at the time, I don’t know the person I would be today.

Mariam was President at Her Campus Carleton circa 19/20. She's a puppy lover and strives to be Mindy Kaling one day. Hopefully in five years you can find her working on the next most popular true crime series. Bachelor of Journalism '20 - Carleton University