How to Create Positive Energy by Changing Your Lifestyle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Changing everything about your life can be hard. I don’t like to change and that’s one thing I’ll always be stubborn about. If you’re like me, then you’ll stick to your bad habits until you’re crying on the floor, miserable and accepting the fact that maybe all that is left is Netflix and a pint of ice cream. 

But, it’s not the way to go. I’m pretty hard-headed and if I got through it, so can you. Here are some baby steps to get you started to living your best life.  

Stop eating out

Bad food equals a bad you. A 2014 study by the University of California confirms that the quality of your diet has a direct result on your quality of life. Testing these results on rodents, they found that eating foods high in fats and sugars, can cause a lack of motivation and as a result, laziness. 

It can be very difficult to change your eating habits, but I find that it helps to leave your credit and debit cards at home and bring a limited amount of cash with you everywhere you go. You can also try getting someone to hold you accountable by giving them a sum of money, so if you don’t follow through with your eating habits, they get to keep it. 

Clean your room

I cannot work in a messy room. If I have nowhere else to go, then I guess I’m not working. The best way to sit down and study is to have a space that adapts to those needs. 

It doesn’t always need to be a quick change – especially if you’re naturally a very busy person. Start by making your bed every day and make it a habit. It takes 13 days for a person to build a habit. Then, take a free day where you feel like you might have some energy, and clean off your desk or vanity. Taking baby steps is the way to go. 

Talk over the phone 

Maybe it’s just me, but I am terrible at texting. I tend to side more with talking over the phone or video chatting, if I have the option. Having conversations face-to-face are my favorite form of interaction, but sometimes we don’t have that choice. 

Texting can cause miscommunication. I can’t count the number of times I’ve misread the tone of a text and believed I was having a completely different conversation. Talking on the phone minimizes that risk – and allows you to have a full conversation in a shorter amount of time.

Take a walk

But, don’t just walk randomly. Take a scheduled walk that you can take every day for 10 to 30 minutes. Put your headphones on, walk and think to your favorite Spotify playlist and release the student stress we all know you have.

Sometimes walking clears your head and gets you ready for the day. 

Make sure this year is your year. Commit to loving yourself and living your best life!

Mariam was President at Her Campus Carleton circa 19/20. She's a puppy lover and strives to be Mindy Kaling one day. Hopefully in five years you can find her working on the next most popular true crime series. Bachelor of Journalism '20 - Carleton University