This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

As the semester comes to a close, there’s one thing we can always depend on to cheer us up through finals: FOOD! Our exec team is full of a bunch of foodies, and so we’re here to share our favourite foods with you.

Asian Cuisines – RIANNA LIM

I love foods from all Asian cuisines, but especially Thai and Japanese food! If you’re in Toronto, my favourite restaurant is Pai, a Thai restaurant that serves my favourite meal, khao soi, which is a delicious curry noodle soup dish – I highly recommend it! I also love sushi and whenever I have a craving for Japanese food here in Ottawa, all too often I find myself at Carleton’s UC cafeteria treating myself to a salmon sushi bowl. In fact, I might just go get one right now…

Sushi – Leila Mohabeer-Ortiz

My favourite meal has always been, and will probably always be: sushi. When I was little, it was the meal we got as a special treat, visiting New Generation Sushi in Toronto on birthdays and kindergarten graduations. As I got older, it was a fun meal to get with friends during lunch breaks or after school. Now, I tend to get sushi (from my favourite place in Ottawa: Kochu, in Little Italy) when I’ve had a particularly hard day, or when I miss home. It never fails to put me in a better mood.

Thai red curry tofu – Maya Blumenfeld

I’m the biggest fan of finding recipes to jumpstart a cooking process (mostly I just wing it!) so one of my top favourite dishes to make and eat is Thai red curry tofu. I CAN NOT get over the flavourful spice just a small spoonful of curry paste releases into a meal! I start off by pressing the extra firm-style tofu to dry it out as much as possible, then I like to pan-sear it, sauté a bunch of veggies with garlic, some soy sauce, coconut milk sometimes, and peanut butter ALWAYS, and finally add that red deliciousness in the end! I top the mixture over some sticky brown rice (iykyk) and *chef’s kiss* it’s perfection!

Pasta – Emma Hodgson

My favourite food is definitely basic but delicious. I’ve always said if I could eat one food for the rest of my life it would be pasta. It’s the number one comfort food and never fails to be tasty. There are also so many different ways to do it! Anything from a pasta salad, creamy/cheese sauce, or even a regular meat sauce. Plus endless topping possibilities. Anytime I can’t figure out something to make for my friends I go for the Instagram-famous Gigi Hadid spicy vodka pasta recipe.

Pesto
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Chickpea Cookies – Jenna Legge

This is an unbearable question. There aren’t many foods I’ve met that I didn’t like! Although, my mom’s chickpea cookies will always hold a special place in my heart. When I was younger, I was an incredibly picky eater (shocker, I know). So, my mom had to try every way possible to mix veggies into the foods I liked. What resulted was a chocolate chip cookie packed with chickpeas and plenty of other veggies — plus whatever protein or nutrient-filled ingredient my mother could add! My little brother and I loved the cookies so much that they quickly became a go-to during road trips, vacations and many other important moments. I consider this to be my favourite food because it is tied to so many of my favourite childhood memories.

Pesto Pasta – Emma Holloway

My favourite food is hands down pasta. It’s my go-to meal and is so versatile! Throw some veggies, protein, parm, and sauce on it then boom you’re done. I have some form of pesto pasta once a week. Do I plan on changing that? Definitely not lol! I look for easy and quick meals to make during school and this has remained a staple for years. Go try some pesto pasta tonight!!

Big Turks – Aria Mann

Recently, I have rediscovered the beauty of the best confectionary combination I have ever been exposed to: Big Turks. Whoever thought to drape Turkish delight (lokum) in chocolate has my endless love and appreciation. It is not popular with everyone, true, but the enthusiasm of those who do enjoy it outweighs everything else. It could also be a fun idea to attempt to make it yourself at home! ‘Tis almost the season, after all, and Turkish delight and chocolate can make for a very sweet gift.   

Spaghetti and Garlic Bread – Rachel Fiset

Not to copy my fellow execs, but I am also a die-hard for some good pasta, specifically a spaghetti dish (meat bolognese) with garlic bread. It unlocks so many memories for me – my dad makes the very best garlic bread and my mom’s spaghetti is the ultimate comfort food; it never fails to cheer me up! The mixture of the two makes my stomach and heart happy – what more could you ask for?

Do you have a favourite food you want to share with the world? DM us on Instagram @hccarleton and we’ll feature it on our story!

Rachel Fiset

Carleton '23

Rachel is a Journalism and Political Science combined honours student. She loves to write, read, and learn any way she can! Rachel enjoys keeping busy, and along with HerCampus is involved with The Charlatan, CKCU 93.1 FM, Book Ravens, and the Campus Activity Board.