Don’t Underestimate The Power of The People

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Over the last few months, I have found myself reflecting on where I fit as an individual surrounded by the immoral power structures and institutions that underpin our everyday lives. Throughout this journey, I have experienced a series of heartbreaking and inspiring events that have led me here: writing this article, and warning all of us to not underestimate the power of the people.

Every school year, I have been assigned courses that highlight historical events and movements that have shaped our society today. In 10th-grade history, we took a deep dive into the Holocaust and watched The Boy in Striped Pyjamas. In both high school and university history classes, my classmates and I have been repeatedly exposed to the 1919 Winnipeg General Strike and the Women’s Suffrage Movement, where prominent actors like Nellie McClung and The Famous Five were placed at the forefront. In each and every class, I sat upright, took my notes and regurgitated the facts for the next upcoming quiz, test or exam. Even with the constant repetition, I was always left with the same impression. That as regular citizens we could always do something in the face of injustice. Outside of these classes, activism through social media, awareness and fundraising have always felt almost innate. To put it into context, GenZ is considered one of the most politically passionate and active generations

So I’m sure you may be wondering, why would empathy be an issue? 

Following the surge in activism surrounding the ongoing genocide in Gaza; I have noticed that many people seem unconvinced that raising awareness, protesting and boycotting has any sort of concrete impact. This has prompted me to emphasize the power of collective action.

Instances of great unshakeable societal change have often had one source: the people. It seems that in an era of distanced technology and political unawareness, people have turned their backs on hope and the true weight of a collective voice. In response, I wanted to highlight numerous occasions in history where the people have made a difference, as well as the smaller-scale actions of others that have ignited my own activist journey.

The South African Anti-Apartheid Movement

From 1912 to 1992, South Africa struggled under an apartheid regime which capitalized on the labour of its non-white citizens and enacted violence against them. For most of us, the name Nelson Mandela comes to mind immediately when we hear about this movement. We often reflect on his sacrifices, the unlawful punishment he served, and his final achievement of presidency after many years of resistance. But I also wanted to highlight the people who helped support his efforts through boycotts.

A part of the anti-apartheid resistance that is often forgotten was its widely successful boycott movement, which occurred in varying degrees from the 1950s to 1990s. As the central cog to any nation, events that significantly harm the economy are very effective in grabbing the attention of power. Whether it’s higher-ups like politicians or successful private businesses seeing impacts on their profits; the South African movement understood then, what we are beginning to understand today. That the people are key to many of the systems from which power is sourced.

Mirroring current events, the boycotts were supported all over the world. Among others, a notable example is the month-wide March 1960 boycott in Britain, where citizens and major retailers that were backed by political parties, boycotted South African products to protest the political conditions in which they were being made. This placed significant pressure on the South African government and was a key stepping stone to the anti-apartheid movement’s ultimate success.

Black Lives Matter

As a more recent example, 2020 was an explosive year for activism concerning the Black community. Although it was driven by the tragic murder of George Floyd by a police officer; this time was especially impactful because it highlighted the power of social media and protests. His death was felt all around the world and ignited important global discussions about systematic anti-black racism in countries like New Zealand and France.

In America, awareness raised by the Black Lives Matter movement has led to the passing of “more than 140 new police oversight and reform laws in [2021]” with reformed sanctions against excessive police force.

My Journey

While considering these historical events, I have also been on my own personal journey of activism. I have always done my part to donate and raise social media awareness, however, the inspiration to write this piece occurred last week; while I was listening to the song “Riot” by Grace Carter. In a 2023 Clash Music interview; Carter explained that the song dealt with “ the emotional and physical injustices that black people face daily.” More than anything, she attributed it to “the emotional turmoil and the internal riot so many black people experience.” 

One of my favourite sets of lyrics is 

(Oh-oh) oh, excuse me if I get angry

It’s my right (oh-oh)

Yeah, you started a riot tonight

Although I had listened to this song numerous times before, the recent events in Gaza caused the lyrics to take on a new meaning. As I jammed out to the song alone in my kitchen, I couldn’t help but feel ashamed of how unsure I was in using the Her Campus platform to speak about the Palestinian struggle. I thought back to the many instances that people had reached out to me and explained how my articles on my natural hair or black artists on campus had inspired their own vulnerability in telling personal stories. To put it simply: I was afraid of disrupting the peace. There’s an animosity that we all have by resharing stories on our private accounts; or even donating in our free time. On the other hand, public action like writing articles on this platform or attending protests takes another level of courage. To take a public stance is to reach and inspire strangers who may have been on the fence about speaking up.

The song also reminded me that activism isn’t always peaceful and complacent. That victims don’t have to act a certain way to still be perceived as such. While collective action can take the form of peaceful sit-ins and silent boycotts, they can also be loud and cause unrest. One is no less valid than the other. I present this in response to those who are quick to judge the actions of the oppressed. 

Individual Contributions

Alongside my choice of music, the unrelenting passion and activism from those in my community has also encouraged my steadfast belief in movements. An important example comes from Carleton’s own student association: CUSA. Numerous executive members (including their president) have been individually loud and proud about their stance on ongoing political conflicts. This is a level of courage that has inspired mine more recently. To be university representatives that thousands look up to, yet willingly speak up for those who cannot; is what truly stood out for me.

On campus, I have seen numerous clubs and associations put their blood, sweat and tears into fundraising campaigns like bake sales and banquets. Also, Carleton has had a great year for group demonstrations. This includes the CUPE 4600 strike early last year and the numerous organized Palestine demonstrations that have occurred since October.

Main Takeaway

If you take anything from reading this piece, I would hope to inspire you in some way to take action. Do not become complacent to the horrors that occur around you every day. It is never too late.

Teni is the current Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Carleton! She oversees and supports the executive team, ensures that HCHQ requirements are met, and acts as a final reviewer of all articles. Outside of Teni’s Her Campus duties, she is a second-year student in the Public Affairs and Policy Management Program, with a specialization in Communication Technologies and Regulation in addition to a French minor. Teni is passionate about racial advocacy and has administrative experience through organizations like CATIE where she worked as a Research Assistant. Within the role, she updated the public service directory of community-based organizations along with their internal database. On campus, she works as a Front-Desk Associate at Carleton’s Center for Student Academic Support. In terms of extracurriculars, she has kept busy with clubs like BSA (The Black Student Alliance) and BSPA (Black Students in Public Affairs), where she volunteered at an Afrofuturism conference and made lifelong connections with other Black students in PAPM. To relieve stress, Teni thrives in the realm of escapism, ranging from fantasy books to reality TV. As a lover of the arts, she uses poetry as a creative outlet and aspires to be a published author alongside a career in either Law or Public Policy.