‘Coming of Age’ Films to Watch While the Weather is Still Warm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Summer nights are sadly fleeting, the sun is setting earlier and the temperature is slowly creeping lower.  So, if you’re looking for something to do with these shorter evenings, here’s a list of 10 ‘coming of age’ stories that’ll make you laugh, cry, or in some cases both.  

The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants (2005)  

Nothing screams ‘summer’ more than four best girlfriends sharing the perfect pair of jeans.  The story follows the girls, and the pants, worldwide as they experience one of the hardest, and in some ways most fulfilling summers of their lives.

10 Things I Hate About You (1999)  

This one is a bit of a throwback, and (fun fact!) based on William Shakespeare’s play, The Taming of the Shrew.  In 10TIHAY, the seemingly uninterested Kat Stratford falls for Heath Ledger’s bad-boy character, all as a result of a complicated plot by their classmates to take Kat’s sister, Bianca, to prom. 

Lady Bird (2017)

This film captures the feeling of having impossibly large dreams, the hardships of being a teenager and the complications of familial relationships. Lady Bird will take you on an emotional journey that is guaranteed to make you want to hug your Mom tighter next time.

The First Time (2012)  

The First Time is definitely of the ‘woke teen rom com’ era, featuring that quirky girl character we all want to be and the goofy nice guy who’s also exceptionally attractive, that we never seem to find.  Also, Dylan O’Brien… need I say more?

Juno (2007)

On the more serious side of this list, Juno tackles the topic of teen pregnancy, and growing up too fast in a way that feels totally authentic.  Yes, you’ll still get some comedic moments from Ellen Page’s brilliant portrayal of teen mom, Juno, but be prepared to go through the emotional ringer on this one. 

Dirty Dancing (1987)  

Speaking of Mom’s, this is one of my Mom’s favourite movies and it’s not hard to see why.  This movie gives you the falling for the older, bad boy, who secretly has a heart of gold narrative we all need and want in our lives.  Paired with an incredible soundtrack that will give you a ton of nostalgia, and that iconic dance scene, you can’t go wrong with Dirty Dancing.

The Spectacular Now (2013)  

It’s kinda sweet and kinda wholesome, until it’s not.  Miles Teller helps tell a story of not knowing where to go next and wanting to hold on to those high school ‘glory days’ forever.

Palo Alto (2013)

Maybe one of the most messed up movies I’ve ever watched, but something about it always makes me want to see it again.  Although beautifully shot and written, Palo Alto contains some potentially triggering subject matter such as drug abuse, sexual violence and pedophilia.  But within these flawed characters, it’s hard not to see a little bit of yourself, and that’s the beauty of watching this film.

Call Me by Your Name (2017)  

Based on the book by André Aciman, Call Me by Your Name follows the journey of two young men falling in love in the 80s. This movie illuminates a wonderful teenage curiosity, and beautiful parental relationships, that will ensure you need to have the tissues ready.

Clueless (1995)

As if this wasn’t going to be on this list.  Cher Horowitz is your typical blonde, Beverly Hills, popular girl, or is she? Follow Cher’s journey as she proves to others and most importantly herself, that she’s more than just a pretty face. Oh, and 90s Paul Rudd isn’t so bad either. 

These movies are the best fit for this amazing fall weather. 

Kennedy is originally from Halifax, N.S. but moved to Canada's capital to pursue her love of Journalism at Carleton. She is in her fifth and final (fingers crossed) year and is proud to call Ottawa her second home. A former executive team member of Her Campus Carleton, Kennedy is passionate about participating with the chapter and continuing to watch our girl gang grow. In her free time Kennedy enjoys playing guitar, singing and seeking out a cozy chair to study in at one of Ottawa's amazing coffee shops. A self proclaimed caffeine addict, more often than not you'll find her with a coffee in hand.
Mariam was President at Her Campus Carleton circa 19/20. She's a puppy lover and strives to be Mindy Kaling one day. Hopefully in five years you can find her working on the next most popular true crime series. Bachelor of Journalism '20 - Carleton University