Style > Fashion

Brands to Shop at in Ottawa to Help Keep You Warm this Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Whether you’re a seasoned Ottawa resident, out-of-province, or from another city in Ontario, one thing everyone needs to brace for in Ottawa is the winter. Although warmer temperatures are anticipated for this year’s winter due to El Niño, frigid winds and -30°c lows are still something to look out for from December through February. No matter if you’re a daily commuter, skier, or want to experience the outdoor wonders of the city this holiday season, there are many reasons you might want to add to your wardrobe this winter. This article compiles some of the top brands in the city that Ottawa residents (rightfully) flock to when the snow starts falling. They are in no way ordered, as each brand depends on what you need and what you’re looking for.

Aritzia

Known for: Popular & practical winter jackets

Price range (for jackets): ~$250-350

Ottawa locations: The CF Rideau Centre, Bayshore Shopping Centre

Whether you knew it was coming or you’re sick of hearing about them, this article wouldn’t be an article about Ottawa’s winter fashion trends without mentioning Aritzia’s signature Super Puff™! Due to the popularity of the line of jackets, it’s easy to be skeptical of the line and the jacket’s effectiveness. However, it’s important to note that Aritzia’s collection includes many different styles and lengths depending on your needs and preferences, as well as a wide variety of available colours.

After having done my research this year on winter jackets, I heard the most positive things about Aritzia’s Classic Super Puff from my circle of commuting friends. The original collection of jackets are all able to withstand and keep the wearer warm in temperatures up to -30°c. One particular friend I spoke to had owned her Original Super Puff for three years, and it is still in almost perfect condition. I bought mine last week, opting to go for the Classic Super Puff’s mid-size in black ($298), a length which I’d recommend to all bus-taking students tired of freezing their pants off. For those lucky enough to be outdoors less or on a budget, the original length ($250) works almost as well. With many unique features and a catalogue more diverse than I’m able to describe, the Super Puff Collection appears to be a top choice for students at Carleton. You can find Aritzia’s guide to all choices available here!

Puffs aside, Aritzia also offers a selection of parkas, jackets, mittens, and hats for the season.

Mark’s

Known for: Affordable outerwear and wardrobe staples

Price range: $179-300 for women’s insulated jackets & winter coats, winter boots from $80-250

Ottawa locations: Ottawa Train Yards, Kanata Centrum, South Keys Shopping Centre, Bayshore Shopping Centre, & more locations listed here.

Note: All Mark’s products are on sale this Black Friday!

One of the most affordable and accessible options on the list, Mark’s is widely known for its outerwear and winter gear in Ottawa and is a favourite of my parents. For those who prioritize options and product choices that keep the Ottawa winter experience directly in mind, Mark’s might be the right place. Their most popular women’s winter boots can be found here, while their most popular insulated jackets and winter coats can be found here.

the north face

Known for: High-end winter jackets, skiing & sport apparel

Price range (for jackets): ~$250-500

Ottawa locations: See Ottawa outlets carrying The North Face products here

For those who want a brand focused on the Great Outdoors and all the activities that come with it, The North Face is typically a top choice, especially for many Canadian backpackers and skiers. Unfortunately, they don’t have their own outlet in Ottawa but their products can be found in many other stores across Ottawa including Sport Chek (see below). While North Face apparel is on the expensive side, it’s a brand many of my athletic friends swear by for ski trips to Mont Tremblant. Although I wouldn’t recommend the brand to those on a budget and opting for something on the more casual side, they’re still undoubtedly a reputable company with widespread popularity across Canada.

Some of the North Face’s most popular items for women include the 1996 Retro Nupse Jacket ($429) which stands as a 3/3 on their warmth scale and covers torso to head, Arctic Parka ($459) which stands at a 3/3 on their warmth scale and covers thighs to head, and the ThermoBall Eco Jacket 2.0 ($279) which stands at a 2/3 on their warmth scale. I have friends who endorse the Nupse Jacket for the winter, however, I would not recommend the ThermoBall Eco Jacket for an Ottawa winter, but rather for the chilly but-not-quite-freezing weather we have in November, early December and March.

The North Face also carries durable mittens, boots, hats, and thermal vests.

Sport chek

Known for: Wide range of sport and winter gear

Price range: Product dependent

Ottawa locations: CF Rideau Centre, Bayshore Shopping Centre, St. Laurent Shopping Centre, Merivale Mall, Kanata Centrum

Due to the sheer amount of different brands, styles, and options offered at Sport Chek, it’s difficult to recommend any of their specific items but if you’re looking to shop at an in-person location, ask questions, and find what’s right for you Sport Chek might be the right place. They carry many types of winter jackets from different brands for different purposes, as well as gloves, hats, and boots all weather-conscious of the Ottawa climate. If you’re indecisive and want to try out items from many different sources before purchasing, a Sport Chek outlet might be the right choice for you. See a list of all the brands available at Sport Chek here.

Roots

Known for: Sweaters, sweatpants, range of jackets

Price range: $30-100 on sweatshirts and sweatpants, $70-150 on light jackets, $150-300 on parkas and heavy jackets

Ottawa locations: CF Rideau Centre, Tanger Outlets, St. Laurent Shopping Centre, Bayshore Shopping Centre, Ottawa Train Yards

Note: All Roots products are on sale this Black Friday!

A Canadian staple, it’s impossible to go anywhere in Ottawa without seeing a pair of Roots sweatpants at least once. Roots is one of the optimal brands to go to when searching for warm under-layers due to their extensive line of sweatshirts, sweatpants, leggings, and sweaters– but they also sell many staple accessories perfect for the cold. In early November I bought their Cloud Full Zip Track Jacket ($98, $68.60 BF) in green, and it’s been hard not to constantly wear it since.

Roots’ bestsellers include the Original Beaver Sweatpant ($78, $54.60 BF) Original Beaver Hoodie ($88.60, $61.60 BF), and the Olivia Cable Toque ($34, $23.80 BF) and Mitten ($34, $23.80 BF). Roots’ outerwear includes the bestselling Down Puffer Parka ($298, $208.60 BF) which can withstand temperatures up to -25°c, their Shearling Fleece Anorak ($98, 68.60 BF), and their Down Short Puffer Jacket ($278, $194.60 BF) which can also withstand temperatures up to -25°c.

Uniqlo

Known for: Practically everything! Wardrobe basics, accessories, PUFFTECH/HEATTECH & general techwear

Price range: Product dependent

Ottawa locations: CF Rideau Centre

Having opened their first and only Ottawa location this past June, the Japanese retailer Uniqlo is still relatively new in the city. Nonetheless, it’s become quickly popular with Ottawa residents and shoppers at the Rideau Centre, due to its innovative designs and techwear as well as their product and colour variety. Earlier this month, I picked up their HEATTECH Ribbed Beanie ($19.90) in olive and have taken it with me on any day with the slightest bit of wind ever since.

Due to Uniqlo’s large collection of products and lack of temperature labels available online, I’d encourage shoppers to visit the Rideau location in person to try out thermal products themselves and discover what suits them, but Uniqlo’s plethora of options are sure to make this a great experience. Their HEATTECH collection provides many options for under-layers from tops, and bottoms, to leggings that are sure to both keep you warm and stylish through classes.

Closing words

This winter, it’s important to remember to shop for yourself and what you want without the opinions of others in mind. There’s no shame in catering to specific brands, trends, or styles, nor is there any in not catering to them. Being equipped for the cold and harsh season can be challenging, overwhelming, and expensive, and the winter months themselves aren’t much more fun. Here’s to hoping for happy holidays, and a rewarding winter for everyone!

Sophia Laporte is a member of the Her Campus Carleton chapter. She has a particular interest in covering pop culture subjects from music to film to television, as well as books of all kinds and our ever-changing social culture. Outside of Her Campus, Sophia is a first year Journalism and Humanities student and representative for Carleton’s Journalism Society. She’s currently trying her hand at writing for more campus newsletters, and graduated from high school with an award for Outstanding Achievement in Contemporary Studies. She has previously been involved with her high school’s fundraising committees, OJEN mock trial, and her riding’s Youth Council. Currently, she works as an educator at Lululemon. In her free time, Sophia enjoys going out with friends and family, retail therapy, reading heart-shattering fiction, all kinds of creative writing, and listening to Mitski’s entire discography. She has her own small business @medasjewelry on instagram where she sells her own handmade charm jewelry. She loves storytelling in all its forms and can't wait to have enough free time to commit to story-based video games again.