5 Halloween Costume Ideas from Your Favourite Netflix Shows

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

*Warning! Potential spoilers ahead for The Umbrella Academy, Sex Education, and Young Royals. Read at your own risk!*

#1: The Creepy Mechanical Doll (Squid Game) 

Red light, green light.

Apparently, everyone and their mother has now seen Squid Game, so it’s only appropriate to talk about the creepiest part. This chic animatronic doll made quite a memorable appearance in the first episode. 

Hear me out: is she literal nightmare fuel? Yes. But is she making some (kindergarten-esque) points with her fit? Also yes. Look at those Mary Janes! It’s a cute look, but if you memorize her little chant and go around singing it, you’ll get some fun reactions.

What you’ll need: a bright yellow button-down, an orange pinafore dress or sundress, white stockings, black flats, very circular bangs, and two pigtails. 

#2: A Vagina-Hat Dancer (Sex Education)

This sex-positive, fan-favourite show just celebrated its third season

But for this Halloween, we’re taking a flashback to Season 2 to talk about one of the most iconic costumes to ever grace our television screens. These intergalactic, vagina-hat-wearing dancers from the Moordale school musical (bottom left and right of the above photo) were stealing the show — for all 30 seconds of their regrettably brief appearance. If you commit to this one, it’ll be hard for people to pull their eyes away. Even if they wanted to, hypothetically. 

Side note: I’m not sure if your parents would be the right audience for this one. If I’m being honest, I don’t really think you should wear this anywhere. But knock yourself out! 

What you’ll need: flour, water, paint, and serious paper-mâché skills. Be creative.

#3: Dolores (The Umbrella Academy)

Who doesn’t love The Umbrella Academy?

Dolores is my favourite character for obvious reasons: no fighting, no violin practice, no debatably-incestual relationships, just vibes. Dressing up as her is perfect if you’re looking for something with a mysterious, slight witchy aura. 

What you’ll need: a bald cap, a long-sleeved blouse that can pass as old-fashioned, purple eyeshadow, thin brows, heavy blush, and a 13-year-old kid to carry you around everywhere in a wagon.

#4: The Circle (The Circle)

A bold choice if there ever was one…

The circle itself is truly the unsung hero of this social media-centred competition show. I guarantee that no one else will be sporting the same costume. And yet, there’s no doubt that everyone will know exactly what you’re trying to be. 

With there being versions of the show based in the United States, Brazil, the United Kingdom, and France, this is also the definition of a globalized costume. 

What you’ll need: lots of glow sticks and a dark room. 

#5: August (Young Royals)

Who doesn’t love a little drama?

August is one of the central characters of this Swedish Netflix Original which has become a swift global hit, recognized for its realistic-looking teenage characters, genuine acting performances, and queer storylines that aren’t written solely for a straight audience.

All I can say about this choice of costume is that people will either run away or come closer, depending on how well you pull off his hairstyle. 

What you’ll need: the most snobby, preppy-looking sweater you can possibly find and five containers of your strongest hair gel. 

(Alternatively, wear a shirt that says traitor, and everyone will know who you mean.)

Happy spooky season!

Aria Mann

Carleton '25

Aria Mann is a Carleton University student. At any given time you could probably catch her reading, playing the piano, or listening to new music. Or writing. Obviously.