Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

5 Cheap Things Do In Ottawa For Free During Reading Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

If you’ve decided to stick around in Ottawa over reading week, you’re probably looking for some activities to occupy all that free time with. Since you’re a university student, you’re probably also hoping those fun things won’t set your bank account back too far. Never fear, we’ve got a list of five fun and cheap things to do around Ottawa over reading week. Whether you’re with friends or on your own, these activities are guaranteed to fill your days, and could also act as great study breaks.

1. Explore The Canal

@thehengwang

If you’re looking for a classic Ottawa excursion, don’t look further than out your dorm room window. Take a walk along the canal and enjoy the view, or if you’re looking for something a little more active, get in your run for the day. The leaves are beautiful this time of year, so get out there and enjoy a nice fall day. If you want to spend a little more money, you can rent a bike, or even a kayak to add to your experience.

2. Wander Around Byward Market

@tonyflow666

Take the bus to Byward Market and spend the day wandering the streets. This could be a great way to find some nice art to decorate your dorm room with, or if you’re an artist yourself, find some inspiration. The colorful and eclectic atmosphere will brighten your day. You could also take some time and enjoy the live entertainment often found on the streets of Byward.

3. Go to an Event

@uppercanadavill

Ottawa has so many events constantly on the go. As an example, go experience Pumpkinferno in Upper Canada Village. Walk through almost 7,000 carved pumpkins lit up at night and get yourself in the fall spirit! Also happening at this time is the Ottawa Writers Festival. Check out their website for a list of free events you can attend. 

4. Tour Parliament Hill

Photo by Clem Sim on Unsplash

Take advantage of being a student in our nation’s capital, and do a tour of the Parliament buildings. This free tour gives you a great starting point to learn more about Canada, especially if you’re an international student. Not only would it be educational, but the buildings are beautiful. Who knows, maybe you’ll run into our mayor, Jim Watson, or even the prime minister.

5. Take In a Museum

Photo by Ioana Cristiana on Unsplash

Most museums in Ottawa have times during the week where admission is free. This is a good way to get off campus, and learn something over the break. Even if museums aren’t your thing, this is a creative way to get in your steps for the day. Included is a list of when some of the more popular museums offer free admission:

National Gallery of Canada: Free admission on Thursdays from 5 to 8 p.m.

Canadian Agriculture and Food Museum: Free admission everyday from 4 to 5 p.m.

Canadian Museum of History: Free admission on Thursday nights from 4 to 8 p.m.

Canadian Aviation and Space Museum: Free admission everyday from 4 to 5 p.m.

6. Play Board Games at The Loft

The Loft is a place for you and your friends to enjoy a night of competition and fun. You can enjoy some appetizers, hot cocoa, and one of their hundreds of board games. Admission is only $5.50 and you can find The Loft on Waller Street in the heart of downtown. 

@julietyios​

If you’re not going home for reading week, or you’re an Ottawa resident, you can be sure to have a relaxing time that won’t put a dent in your pockets if you do any of these activities. Let yourself have some fun this reading week; you can take a break from studying. 

Cate Newman

Carleton '22

I'm a journalism student at Carleton University, who loves writing, advocating for causes I'm passionate about and having a good time with my friends.