4 Ways To Ace The Upcoming Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal U chapter.

Coming back after winter break leaves many of us college students either cold, tired, unprepared or all of the above. The start of the semester means new classes, a different schedule, and, unless you’re lucky, waking up before noon. It seems incredibly daunting and stressful to think about but here are some easy tricks to make this semester the best yet.

Get A Planner/Agenda

The best way to put your life on the track to a stellar semester is to get yourself a planner/agenda. Planning out your week ahead of time regarding class work, extracurricular activities, work, etc. can make a world of difference in your overall performance in everyday life.

Slowly you’ll become more organized, have more time to study and by practicing good time management skills you’re building yourself up for your future career. Plus, planners can be incredibly fun and customizable. Using fun pens, stickers and tapes is an ideal way to motivate yourself to use your planner.

Create A Routine And Stick With It

It seems like it’d be an easy feat considering you go to the same classes every day and naturally do similar activities regularly. However, a routine is more than that. Doing things at certain times of the day or week will drive you to make healthier life choices, create more free time and allow you to avoid procrastination.

For instance, pick a specific day every week to do laundry, so that in two weeks from now , when you don’t have any clean jeans and it’s also exam day, you’re getting a little bit of extra study time instead of frantically trying to find something to wear.  

Building a routine sounds intimidating but in time will become incredibly beneficial. You’ll become compelled to follow through with things like laundry, and feel accomplished in doing them. Above all you won’t procrastinate the things you don’t want to do.

Go To Class!

It seems like it would be common sense but once you starting missing class, it becomes easier and easier to tell yourself that it’s fine if you miss. One class you skip that turns into multiple misses is exactly how you fall behind. Some professors might even have attendance policies that will affect your grade. Going to class is the only way you can guarantee that you have all of the notes, lectures, etc. for exams and projects. A pro tip is to find someone in the class and make friends with them, not only make the class more enjoyable, but so that you can help each other study.

Take Care of Yourself

One of the most important things you can do in college is taking care of yourself. Eat well, go to the gym and get some sleep. By being in the best possible condition you can be, you’ll perform better in the classroom, work and in activities. Some other awesome bonuses are that you’ll feel better, less stressed and you’ll become more productive.

Take time for yourself throughout the week by doing a face mask or watching your favorite Netflix show. Try making yourself dinner using a new recipe or go out for the night. These little things are ways you can reward yourself for all the hard work you’ll do this semester.

I am a undergraduate student, seeking a B.A. in English, concentrating in Journalism and Creativing Writing. I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at California University of Pennsylvania (Cal U). I am the Social Media Officer for Alpha Lambda Delta. Additionally, I manage the social media for Cal U's Women's Studies Program where I am a work study student. I am a staff writer for the Cal Times and I also write frequently for Her Campus at Cal U. In the past, I have worked as a Social Media Consultant Intern with Someone To Tell It To, a non-profit organization based in Harrisburg, PA.