This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State LA chapter.

Cal State Los Angeles has always been a melting pot of various personalities, ethnic groups, and creative minds that derive from its students; each with their own unique stories that continue to be written as they walk through the hallways.

One student that got caught in our radar was Marrian Zhou, a double major in Public Relations and Instrumental Performance, who recently got back from studying abroad in the majestic cities of Rome and London.

We got a chance to speak with her about her time away from Los Angeles, and it seems that she picked up a nearly ineffable experience.

Why did you choose to study abroad?

Tricky question actually. I was in my second year of college, and I always knew I wanted to study Public Relations and Music, but I was at the point where I felt like I reached my cap. I felt like I reached a ceiling and I could not make a breakthrough. So I decided to go out there and see the world and travel, hopefully to clear my mind or have a more creative capacity.

Generally speaking, what was your experience like studying abroad?

It was amazing. It’s quite different from the States of course. In Rome we studied Italian, a lot of art history, the food, the cuisine history as well. We started to live like Romans to be honest; speak to them like the way they do and become a part of the city. In London we didn’t have the language barrier. But we kind of socialized with English students.

If you could choose to live in either Rome or London, which would you prefer and why?

That’ll be hard. I have to choose one? I will probably choose London, even though Rome could be more desirable. London is the most cosmopolitan place. It’s not really like here with generations upon generations of foreigners. In London, it’s just a mixture of different cultures, but they respect each other. The business was booming, and it’s a great place to be if you want to work at PR, and socialize as well.

I was reading a book by Luigi Barzini. He was saying throughout several years tourists come to Rome and think ‘Oh my God this is heaven,’ everybody is always so happy and so nice, but it’s only an illusion. Italy has a heavy economic problem, and political issues. So I feel like for business, London is the place to be.

I noticed you’re a double major. What aspired you to want to pursue Public Relations and Instrumental Performance?

Well, I always knew I wanted to study Communications because I felt like, my family, if we could communicated better in the past there would be less issues, so I wanted to study it better to help me in a lifelong course. I started to get into it, always liked to write as well. I started to discover like ‘oh my gosh,’ with what I write I could actually help people in some sort, or influence the public’s opinions. Then I looked into Public Relations and said this is everything I want to do.

For Music I wasn’t going to do it, and then I went to an audition for Ensemble and Jazz Band and they told me ‘hey if you’re going to do it, why don’t you just major in it?’ It was a hobby that became too real.

What’s your favorite instrument?

Saxophone of course!

How about your least favorite instrument?

Well I never liked the piccolo. If they can play it well, sure, thank God. But if they can’t, it gets squeaky and goes right into the top, back part of your brain. It’s just annoying.

Name your top five musical performers.

Cannonball Adderley

Billy Holiday

Ella Fitzgerald

Davis Miles

Marcel Mule

[Niccolo Paganini was later mentioned to be the sixth]

Let’s take a step back from school for a moment. What are some hobbies that keep you sane through your busy lifestyle?

I think I rarely have time for hobbies now. It’s like a wide interest of things. I learned how to knit the other day. Hiking has become a new thing, and going to the beach to relax. Can I say hookah? Hookah is great. At Boba Bear you can play chess and smoke hookah. And I’m trying to look into archery.

Are you a dog person or a cat person?

Cat.

Her Campus features plenty of food articles. What is one of your go-to food spots?

There’s too many! Dim Sum. New Capital Seafood. Sushi.

Since Her Campus is a magazine geared toward college women’s lifestyle, what’s some advice you could give anyone pursing a double major or studying abroad?

I think the hard part is self-doubting. It’s like ‘Can I do this? Maybe I can’t.’ And that goes for studying abroad as well with the money and the paperwork. I think, just don’t let anything stay in your way, and stay true to your heart. If anyone or anything comes in your way, just squash them.

Nico Triufante

Cal State LA

Yzzy Gonzalez

Cal State LA

Yzzy (real name Ysabel, for the record) is obsessed with a myriad of things, including Inception, traveling, Downtown LA, and laser tagging. Majoring in Television, Film and Media and a lover of creative writing, Yzzy is torn between visual storytelling and using a whole bunch of words. Twitter: @yzzygonzalez