Style

I Watched Too Many Vogue Beauty Secret Videos: Here’s What I Learned

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State Chico chapter.

When you first get to college and start getting into your daily skincare routine, it can be hard to break, even if it’s not completely working for you anymore. As a senior now, I can unfortunately admit that I have been using the same few products since freshman year and my skin is absolutely sick of it. If I do build the courage (and save the money) to buy something new for myself, I want the guarantee that it will make my skin look flawless or my hair become silky smooth like never before. After some deep self-reflection over the last few months, I’ve decided it’s about time to treat myself to a couple standout products and show myself the love I know I deserve! So to get myself started on switching up my skincare, makeup, and hair routine, I turned to what any trendy college girl would: Vogue. After a couple hours of watching the addicting Beauty Secret vlogs of my fav celebs, I’ve come up with a couple unique and useful go-to products and looks. Scoot over, CeraVe, it’s time to bring out the big guns.

Hunger Games’s Rachel Zegler on Preventing Breakouts & Her Go-To Glam

Starting off with today’s it-girl who’s on everyone’s mind after her insane performance in the newest Hunger Games movie, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, it’s Rachel Zegler! At only 20-years-old, Rachel uses a pretty good range of products, ranging from her Clinique face mask she has been using since middle school, to a big fancy LED collagen mask. Something I was excited to see was SuperGoop’s GlowScreen that I personally LOVE – it enhances your natural glow and looks so good under makeup. After her sunscreen and tinted moisturizer, she goes in with a beautiful Charlotte Tilbury Eyes To Mesmerize Cream Eyeshadow that takes about 30 seconds or less to put on, completely hacking the system! One thing, not skin care related, that Rachel emphasizes is the importance of staying on top of her mental health journey along with her skincare journey in order to feel as comfortable as possible and do her job to the best of her ability. Amen, sister. 

Hailey Bieber’s Date Night Skin Care & Makeup Routine

Anything Hailey Bieber does, you know all the classy girls that strive for “clean girl aesthetic” are on board with it. And for good reason– my pinterest boards are FILLED with her! One of the first steps in her routine is the Rhode founder’s very own Peptide Glazing Fluid, which she explains is great for anti-aging, hydration, plumping– overall giving you that dewy/glowy look we all know and love. As much as we look up to her, Bieber talks a bit about her personal icons in the beauty world that she looks up to and takes inspiration from big name supermodels from the 90’s, such as Christy Turlington and Kate Moss. She preaches a “less is more” look, and a product that she believes helps her achieve this look is Tom Ford’s Shade and Illuminate Contour because of its hydrating and creamy base that helps with her dry skin. BRB while I spend all my money on Rhode products now! 

Sabrina Carpenter’s Guide to DIY Facials and Perfect Eyeliner

If you’ve been following along with the South American leg of Taylor Swift’s iconic Era’s Tour, you know Sabrina Carpenter has been her opener! You also know that she absolutely slays every. single. time. So, I was personally very excited to watch her video. Being the queen she is, she becomes transparent about her skincare journey, dealing with eczema since she was 15-years-old, and how she finds therapy in finding a good routine. One of her go-to skincare essentials is her Renee Rouleau Vitamin C Treatment to help bring in some extra moisture. When it comes to makeup, she walks her audience through her signature eyeliner along with how exactly to apply. After smoking her eyeshadow down below her lower lash line, she starts in the very outer corner of her eye with the MAC Brushstroke Eyeliner, winging it out, then she goes into the inner corner with it following the shape of her eye going downwards. And she’ll never forget the eyeliner pencil on the top waterline to make her blue eyes pop a little extra!

Model Salem Mitchell’s Guide to Embracing Freckles

Rising model, Salem Mitchell, takes her viewers through her story of how she began to embrace her freckles through her three-step minimalist routine. One piece of advice she gives is to not to do too much makeup or skincare in order to feel more comfortable in your own skin and bring out the unique features that you already have that make you, you!  Salem tells her incredibly moving story of how an insecurity that people constantly bullied her for ended up getting her scouted as a model. Bringing out more of her natural features, Salem raves about the Fenty Beauty Pro Lip Scrubber, which she uses as a lip exfoliator, and she says is a godsend when her lips get dry in the winter. Another feature Salem is known for is her gorgeous hair, so she makes sure to mention the Mielle Rosemary Mint Scalp Strengthening Hair Oil that she uses to take care of her scalp while her hair is in braids that can create a bit of tension.

Euphoria’s Sydney Sweeney’s Guide to Sensitive Skin Care and Soft Glam

If you didn’t already want to be Sydney Sweeney’s best friend, you will after watching this video. Sydney proves to be the ultimate girls’ girl once again while getting vulnerable and opening up about her skin care journey growing up in her Beauty Secrets video. She had a hard time finding products that wouldn’t break her out into cystic acne growing up and make her face all red, but one of the go-to products that works for her sensitive skin includes her moisturizer, Embryolisse Lait-Creme Concentre. Moving on to the makeup section of the video, Sydney swears by a classic, the Glossier Cloud Paint blush. She uses a beauty blender to put the blush on the apples of her cheeks and blend it a bit up into her face and onto her nose for a perfect soft-glam look. 

Bella Puljiz

Cal State Chico '24

Bella is currently a fourth-year student at California State University, Chico, who is thrilled to be a part of their emerging Her Campus chapter! She is pursuing a psychology major along with a double minor in child development in family relations, hoping to continue her education post-grad in a masters program in School Psychology. Along with being a member of Her Campus, Bella also is a member of Alpha Delta Pi sorority, part of the honors program at Chico State, works at The Well on campus, and has interned in multiple elementary schools. Through experiences and knowledge she has acquired during her time in these extracurriculars, she has gained a huge passion for mental health advocacy and awareness, even driving her to become the Wellness Specialist of Alpha Delta Pi. In her free time, Bella enjoys going to concerts, cooking, trying new restaurants, being outside, and traveling whenever she gets the chance to! While navigating all her options post-grad, she believes in the importance of self-care and finding creative outlets, and is excited to be writing for Her Campus to do so around such like-minded, empowering women!