Why You Should Volunteer at Woods Humane Society This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

The Woods Humane Society is an amazing nonprofit animal shelter out on Highway 1. In an average year, over 1,500 animals will pass their paws through their doors, with 99% being released. Woods will even take animals from the County Animal Services if they are becoming overwhelmed with dogs or cats. With so many animals, it takes more than just a village to keep Woods running smoothly.

Related: 8 Reasons Boyfriends are Actually Giant Puppies 

If volunteering feels a little overwhelming for you, the Cattery is open for anyone. Cats are in separate pods and all are welcome to enter and give the animals love. Each animal has a biography to help you know what to expect from each animal. You can play with a feisty feline, or get some reading done with a snuggle bug.

If cats aren’t your thing, there are plenty of dogs who also need love. Hanging out with a dog requires you to ask the front desk and signing onto a check-out list. You’re then taken to a playroom to hang out with whichever cutie pie you chose to love on.

When you become an official volunteer, you can work one-on-one with dogs and cats, or if those two-legged beings called ‘humans’ are more your speed, they always accept help with customer services and special events. To be a volunteer, one must fill out an online form and then take an orientation class. Depending on what volunteer route you take, you might take a couple of other classes to learn the ways of pet Jedi training.

Related: Learn by Doing Good 

The Woods Humane Society is open 12-6pm seven days a week. Stop by to get some animal love, or give some human love!

Ashlyn Donnahoe

Cal Poly '18

Ashlyn Donnahoe is a senior at Cal Poly SLO majoring in English with a minor in Child Development. After college, she hopes to teach kindergarteners how to be super adorable and read Dr. Seuss for a living. Ashlyn has loved writing since she was young, debuting her talents as a second grader with her first book The Very Fat Cat (trademark pending). These days Ashlyn spends most her time watching Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares and adding to her ever-growing indoor plant collection.