What You Need to Know Before Attending the 2019 SLO Women’s March

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

The Women’s March is an annual event started in 2017 by Teresa Shook as a way to speak out against President Trump. The Women’s March started as a way for people of all different backgrounds, gender identities, races and religions to come together and portray the idea that women’s rights are human rights.

According to the Women’s March SLO website, the march is a way to “stand in solidarity to protect women’s rights, human rights, our safety, our health, and our plane.” At Her Campus we hope to see our Cal Poly community marching to continue the fight for a positive and just future for all people. Join us this Saturday at Mitchell Park at 9 a.m.

This week Her Campus is focused on women’s empowerment on social media and are spreading the message #herpower leading up to the march.

Before you come march with us, you need to know a few things to make the march a positive experience.

The women’s march supports all types of women and aims to be intersectional.

In the past, the women’s march was criticized for not being intersectional and leaving out marginalized groups. It is extremely important to make inclusivity a priority when making signs and saying chants.

Women’s March SLO is ran by volunteers and does not receive any funding from Women’s March National.

Because the SLO chapter is independent, they need about 100 volunteers and roughly $30,000 to put on the event. It would be amazing if we all came out and volunteered for just a portion of the march or donated to the cause because it would help them continue to put on events. Sign up to volunteer here: http://signup.com/go/DCdjAwM and donate here: https://www.flipcause.com/secure/cause_pdetails/MzI2MDM=

This is not a protest and is focused on non-violent principles.

This is a pro-peace and pro-inclusivity march, so make sure you are not targeting specific groups with your words or signs. Women’s March SLO acknowledges other points of view, but  this is not the focus of the march.

What to bring:

Definitely bring your most creative sign that represents you and what you stand for. Don’t forget to bring water, comfortable shoes, your best friends and dress appropriately for the weather.

RSVP and Get Updates here:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/womens-march-slo-2019-tickets-51058921609  

Add @womensmarchslo on social media for updates leading up to the event.

Make sure to keep these things in mind when going to Mitchell Park this Saturday. We would love to see the community empowering women and supporting the #herpower message. See you there!

Lauryn Luescher

Cal Poly '22

Lauryn is a third year student at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, majoring in Journalism and concentrating in Public Relations and minoring in marketing and ethnic studies. She loves going to the beach, hammocking, writing and exploring San Luis Obispo. This year Lauryn is the Senior Editor for Her Campus Cal Poly and spends her free time writing and editing. Lauryn also works with New Student and Transition Programs at Cal Poly and loves orienting new students to college. After college, Lauryn hopes to work for a PR agency or do PR for a food company.