What It’s Like Looking For A Table In The Library, As Told By Ross From Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

We’ve all been there – you need to study and you know the library is the best place for you to focus and be productive. You also know that the moment you get there, a new level of stress begins as you enter the competition for finding a table. And thanks to the quarter system, this happens way more often than we would like. The good thing is, you’re never alone in this experience. Even Ross Geller understands the struggle and he is here to help explain it in 11 steps.

1. You’ve got a big test coming up and you need to do well. The stress is real. You know what time it is. It’s Robert E. Kennedy Library time.

2. You pack your backpack and try to ignore all the fun things your friends invite you to, even though there is nothing you would rather do than hang out with them instead of studying.

3. You reach the library and head on up to the second floor. One lap proves there’s nothing there, but you don’t lose hope and decide to check the third floor.

4. You see an open table. The library gods have blessed you. Until somebody else swoops it right before you can.

5. You decide to treat yourself and get your favorite croissant from Julian’s. But oh wait, they don’t have any food left.

6. Back to looking for a table. You decide to check the fifth floor. There’s always at least something open there. You walk in, breathe slightly too loud and everyone looks at you like…

7. But you grab a table anyway because maybe you can handle the silence? No, you can’t.

8. Things begin to look helpless. You’re not sure if you’ll ever find a table. Is this what we get for trying to be good students? Is this the end? Is it okay to shed a tear in the middle of the lib?

9. And then, suddenly, your friend (and savior) texts you. They’ve found a table on the third floor and you can join them.

10. As you head downstairs, you see others desperately looking for tables just like you were a few moments ago. But you’re a table-owner now. You can’t relate.

11. You finally have a table in the library. You study hard and ace that test like the rock star you are.

Kallyn is a third year student at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, majoring in broadcast journalism with a minor in Media Arts, Science and Technology. She is a writer for Her Campus Cal Poly and Mustang News. She enjoys exploring the San Luis Obispo area, horseback riding and attempting to cook with her roommates. She is a lover of (almost) all things music and (completely) all things dogs. After graduation, she hopes to work for a news station or a high-profile publication.