Trends From Summer That Should Stop This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

1. Denying Climate Change

This fun trend started at the beginning of summer by Trump withdrawing from the Paris Climate Agreement. Record breaking heat and record breaking storms… climate change? Of course not. It’s obviously a lie made up by China. 

2. Illegal Interactions Between U.S. Government and Russian Government 

Starting this summer America was privy to Comey’s side of his investigation into Trump and Putin, and then how he was fired. Did Trump think that the presidency was like The Apprentice? You can’t just fire people to make them stop talking. Silly Trump, the presidency is for politicians. 

3. Unjust Killing of African Americans by Police Officers

This summer we were rocked by the acquittal of the officer who killed Philando Castile. Who doesn’t like to start long days on the beach with police brutality? Though this trend started long before summer it still needs to go the f*** away. 

4. Sexual Assaults Going Unpunished

Who wasn’t left with their skin crawling when Bill Cosby’s sexual assault case ended in a mistrial. Nothing says summer like warm days and rich men getting away with heinous crimes against women. This trend can go back where it belongs, ancient history. 

Why Donald Trump Isn’t What Worries Me Anymore 

5. Trump Attacking News and Media Outlets Based On Appearance and Gender

Trump’s twitter attack against Mika Brzezinski felt all too similar to his attack on Megyn Kelly. Attacking news sources just because you don’t like them is as tacky as well, Trump’s toupee. 

6. Discrimination Against Transgender

Just like it shouldn’t matter what genitalia is underneath that speedo at the beach, the genitalia under a military uniform shouldn’t matter either. Whoever is willing to rock those bikini bottoms, or RISK THEIR LIVES FOR OUR COUNTRY should be able to. ’nuff said. 

9 Ways Women Can Be More Politically Active in 2017

7. Passive Support of Nazi Sympathizers 

Like shoulder pads or crushing racism, xenophobia, or antisemitism, many thought that this trend has died, rotted and been buried for good. But no, Nazi’s are apparently alive and well in America and our government thinks that well, people fighting against this hatred as just as bad

Ashlyn Donnahoe

Cal Poly '18

Ashlyn Donnahoe is a senior at Cal Poly SLO majoring in English with a minor in Child Development. After college, she hopes to teach kindergarteners how to be super adorable and read Dr. Seuss for a living. Ashlyn has loved writing since she was young, debuting her talents as a second grader with her first book The Very Fat Cat (trademark pending). These days Ashlyn spends most her time watching Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares and adding to her ever-growing indoor plant collection.