Girl Holding Produce Farm Rows
Girl Holding Produce Farm Rows
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
Life > Academics

Sustainability-Focused Courses to Add At Cal Poly This Quarter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Sustainability is an incredibly important subject, and one that many of us college-aged students are passionate about in our personal lives. However, we may not be aware of how sustainability can be integrated into many topics we are already learning about. 

In 2019, Cal Poly received a gold rating from STARS (The Sustainability Tracking, Assessment and Rating System), an organization that recognizes institutions that offer courses that promote sustainability. 

Some of Cal Poly’s sustainability-focused classes include ones that may come to mind, like “BIO 227: Wildlife Conservation Biology” or “BRAE 348: Energy for a Sustainable Society”. However, there are also courses from 34 different prefixes to consider adding. 

You may be able to find major courses or electives in a variety of fields of interest to you. Many of the courses also satisfy GE requirements. 

When signing up for classes, look out for a green leaf symbol by the course title. This lets you know that the class covers sustainability-related content. Check out this list for more courses to consider! 

Sustainability is only getting more crucial to our lives, so why not increase your knowledge of the subject while getting credits taken care of at the same time? 

Emi Nishida is a fourth year English major with Linguistics and Child Development minors from Irvine, California. She serves as Editor in Chief for Cal Poly’s chapter of Her Campus. Other than writing, her passions include music, dance, romcoms, anything arts & crafts, and exploring the outdoors.