Scurvy is a Thing, Here’s How To Avoid It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Surprise! Amid the freshman 15, finals and group projects, you also have to worry about coming down with a disease that you thought disappeared with one-legged, hook-wearing seamen. Well, sort of. Cases have been popping up over the last few years of students coming down with Scurvy–a disease thought to have been left behind in the exploratory era. While these cases are spread far and rare, the possibility of contracting Scurvy should have you thinking about better eating habits.

So, how do you go about avoiding such a thing as Scurvy?

Eat ALL the fruits and veggies!

Scurvy is the scientific name for Vitamin C Deficiency. Vitamin C is essential in the normal production of tissue and a lack of it can lead to bleeding gums and loosened teeth, sore/stiff joins, bleeding under the skin, slowed healing of wounds, and anemia. Chuck that crappy college diet stereotype out the window by incorporating various fruits and vegetables – fresh of course – into your daily meals.

Here are some common fruits and veggies with high vitamin C content:

Strawberries

Apricots

Grapefruit

Lemons

Here are a couple fun ones you may have never heard of before:

Gooseberries

Pumelo

Carambola

Okra

Greens can also have high vitamin C content and should be a part of your daily diet for an optimal good day:

Cauliflower

Broccoli

Collard Greens

Brussel Sprouts

Next time you feel yourself reaching for a Cup-A-Noodle, smack it away and grab something fruity or green instead!

Andrea is a Communications Studies major at Cal Poly SLO. She likes to spend the day chatting, reading, or exploring new places, and her favorite snack is a Caribbean Passion from Jamba Juice paired with fresh-popped popcorn. If you see her on campus, she'll most likely be daydreaming about traveling to far-away places or thinking about adopting another kitten.
Gina was formerly the Beauty & Culture Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw content and strategy for the site's key verticals. She was also the person behind @HerCampusBeauty, and all those other glowy selfies you faved. She got her start in digital media as a Campus Correspondent at HC Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where she graduated in 2017 with degrees in English and Theater. Now, Gina is an LA-based writer and editor, and you can regularly find her wearing a face mask in bed and scrolling through TikTok.