Poly Places: Montana De Oro

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

After weaving through the forest of eucalyptus trees, a stretch of road would give you the essence of Montana de Oro with just a 180 degree turn of your head.

On the left, you’d find towering mountains with peaks like Valencia or Hazard for the hiker and, on the right, Moher-like cliffs dropping off to gorgeous beaches for the marine lover. With campsites spread out throughout the State Park, you can be located in an area closer to your adventure of choice, but you’re never limited because everywhere you look you’ll find something new to do. For a small fee that supports all the good the park does, any Poly student could grab some friends, drive twenty minutes northwest and reach a paradise-like vacation.

Like these pictures depict, we got there at sunset to take some breathtaking photos and watch the stars come out.  At night, we tracked constellations and walked in the moonlight. The next morning, we woke up early, played a little guitar and sat on our campsite’s cliff to breathe in the salty air coming all the way from the ocean not far off.

Whether you decide to trek the mountains or to daringly plunge into the waters of Spooner’s Cove, MDO is an experience you’ll want to have at some point in your college years.   

Veronica Valley is currently a third year Industrial Engineering major at Cal Poly SLO. You can usually find her in the library burried under a pile of math books, calling out for help. She has a deep love for sushi and cannot, for the life of her, control herself from buying the terrible kind they sell at Trader Joe's. If you ever ask her if she's down for Trader Joe's or Target, the answer will always be yes, and she will ALWAYS end up going to both. On a more serious note, she is very involved on the Cal Poly campus in a wide variety of engineering related clubs and pushes herself to one day become the next Sheryl Sandberg (aka her role model). Her main concern is trying to promote more girls to get in STEM fields and will dedicate her college time to promoting just that. E-mail her at vvalley@calpoly.edu
Gina was formerly the Beauty & Culture Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw content and strategy for the site's key verticals. She was also the person behind @HerCampusBeauty, and all those other glowy selfies you faved. She got her start in digital media as a Campus Correspondent at HC Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where she graduated in 2017 with degrees in English and Theater. Now, Gina is an LA-based writer and editor, and you can regularly find her wearing a face mask in bed and scrolling through TikTok.