How to Properly Use Your ‘Credit/No Credit’ Option at Cal Poly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Maybe you’ve heard of taking a class credit/no credit, but are not sure what it means or have questions and concerns about how and when to use it. Will it look bad on a transcript? How many classes can you do credit/no-credit? When should you use it, if at all? All your questions will soon be answered. 

Double Check

First, if you’re planning on going to graduate school it is generally recommended that you avoid taking classes credit/no-credit. Some graduate schools will not recognize CR/NC grades for admissions purposes, but consult with your advisor if you have any individual questions. 

Requirements

Second, in order to take a class CR/NC, you must have at least a 2.0 GPA . When you take a class this way, it does not have an effect on your GPA afterward. For example, if you pass and get “credit” your grade point average will be the average of the other classes you have taken that quarter, minus the CR/NC class. For this reason, you cannot take more than 8 units of CR/NC grading per quarter at a time. 

Guidelines

A student may only take up to 16 units CR/NC total in their time at Cal Poly, which sounds like a lot. You must however beware that many colleges and majors have their own restrictions when it comes to taking a class this way. Many colleges do not accept a class’ validity when graded this way, so make sure to check with your advisor before making this selection. 

If a class is a prerequisite for another or in a series, and you take it credit/no credit, this could impede your chances of moving on to your next class in the series. For example if you need a prerequisite of a B- in a certain class to move on to the next level of your class series and you simply get “Credit,” this does not count as a “B-” because you only have to get a “C” to receive “credit.” 

Each individual college is different when it comes to using credit/no-credit for a course in your major. Look into whether your college allows you take a class this way before you commit to your grading choice. If your college does not let you take any courses in your major Pass/Fail and if you do then it will not be a substantial enough credit to let you move on in your classes. 

Most students use their CR/NC option for a free electives course. Check to see if you have any free electives you can use the option on. Other students use their CR/NC option on a general education course.

If your college allows it, it is also a good idea to use a CR/NC grading option on a class you know will be a challenge, or in a quarter you are taking extra units and you know could potentially get overwhelming. As a journalism major, I’m taking my last science GE course CR/NC this quarter because I know it will be a challenge, and it’s an extremely busy quarter for me. 

Lastly, if you have any other questions, contact your advisor to make sure you are making the best decisions for your academic career and your future. Good luck!

I am a Journalism student at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo minoring in Integrated Marketing Communications, with a passion for writing and media. My blog can be found at https://adulthoodinslo.wordpress.com/ and I can be reached at Mollyobrien1996@att.net.