Girls Supporting Girls: Empowering Women During Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

During Women’s History Month in March, we celebrate the achievements of women throughout history and honor the progress made toward gender equality. But we must also recognize the challenges that women continue to face, such as unrealistic beauty standards, gender stereotypes, and internalized misogyny. These challenges can make it difficult for girls and women to feel confident and comfortable in their own skin, and hinder their ability to achieve their goals both personally and professionally. By acknowledging and addressing these challenges, we can work towards creating a more equitable and inclusive society that values and empowers women of all ages, races, and backgrounds.

The “girls supporting girls” movement is a social movement and slogan that encourages women to support, empower, and uplift each other, rather than competing or tearing each other down. The movement gained popularity through social media platforms like Instagram and TikTok, where users shared positive messages and stories of women supporting each other using the hashtag #GirlSupportingGirls. It has since spread globally, with women and girls from all walks of life using the “girls supporting girls” message to promote kindness, inclusivity, and empowerment.

Internalized misogyny can lead to women doubting their abilities and feeling like they need to compete with each other to succeed. Beauty standards and gender stereotypes can create a toxic environment that fosters competition and tearing each other down, rather than supporting and empowering one another. The “girls supporting girls” movement aims to combat these harmful effects by encouraging girls and women to empower each other. This can take many forms, such as sharing positive messages on social media or organizing events that unite girls and women to celebrate their accomplishments and share their experiences.

The “girls supporting girls” movement has positively impacted the lives of girls and women. It has helped create a more supportive and inclusive environment where girls and women can feel comfortable being themselves and expressing their opinions. Specific examples include sharing uplifting stories of girls supporting girls that contrast the typical narrative of girls in conflict with each other. The movement has also helped to combat societal pressures that make it difficult for girls and women to succeed. It has increased self-confidence and promoted a positive self-image among girls and women. Women can achieve great things together when they support and empower each other. By breaking down barriers and challenging gender stereotypes, women who support one another pave the way for future generations of women.

It’s essential to recognize the progress made toward gender equality and honor the achievements of women throughout history during Women’s History Month. However, it’s also crucial to identify the challenges that women continue to face and work to combat them. The “girls supporting girls” movement is one way we can do this. This movement is not only important during Women’s History Month but a year-round effort to promote gender equality and empowerment. Women supporting and uplifting one another can inspire more women to do the same, creating a community that celebrates and recognizes each other’s accomplishments. The movement is not just about promoting positivity but also involves actively challenging negative behaviors and attitudes towards women, such as sexism, misogyny, and bullying. Ultimately, by promoting a culture of support and empowerment, we can work towards a more equitable and just society for all women.

Valerie Medina is currently studying at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo as a Business Administration major concentrating in Marketing with a minor in Sales. She serves as the Director of Public Relations and as an Editorial Writer for Cal Poly’s chapter of Her Campus. Her other passions include traveling, leadership & empowerment, and spending time with her dog Luna.