This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Nothing beats sitting on the couch during a rainy day with a hot drink in one hand and a great book in the other. Books take us into another world and change our reality. They can be engaging, romantic, sad, uplifting, scary… the list goes on.

One genre of books that doesn’t fail to lift others up is “self-help”. Self-help books are full of life-changing ideas, encouraging words, inspirational thoughts, all with a self-reflecting angle. No matter what, I never finish reading a self-help book feeling sad or upset. I am always full of energy and motivated to set out and change something about my life.

This shopping guide highlights some of my favorite self-help books (followed by my favorite quote) that would make a great gift for someone this holiday season.

You are a Badass by Jennifer Sincero

This book is a great introduction into the self-help world. Sincero covers many subjects & tactics about how to change your perception and outlook on life. It teaches you to stop making excuses and grab life by the hand and be the creator of your own destiny. It is all about focusing on what makes you happy and living your truth. 

“If you’re serious about changing your life, you’ll find a way. If you’re not, you’ll find an excuse.”

Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed

This book is a capsule of anonymous letters and stories sent to the author who had an advice column called, “Dear Sugar”. Each unique story is followed by Sugar’s insightful response back. The stories deal with personal suffering and allow you to hear a variety of human experiences. This book will make you laugh, cry, smile, and everything in between. 

“You will learn a lot about yourself if you stretch in the direction of goodness, of bigness, of kindness, of forgiveness, of emotional bravery.

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson

This is such a good read because it teaches the importance of only putting energy into the things that matter to you. Don’t waste your time & attention on things that don’t serve you or align with your values in any way. This book is a counterintuitive approach to your problems which makes it a refreshing type of self-help book. 

“If you want to change how you see your problems, you have to change what you value and/or how you measure failure/success.”

Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis

Throughout this book, we learn how we have the power to leave negative aspects of our life behind. It’s all about acting on your goals, being confident and living joyfully. Hollis talks about how so often people will hold themselves back from achieving what they want. She kicks that idea to the curb and talks about the importance of living your truth with passion and hustle. Go for what you want!

“You, and only you, are ultimately responsible for who you become and how happy you are.”

Why Men Love Bitches by Sherry Argov

This witty read is full of great advice for women who want to take control of their love life. The book explains the importance of being independent and having a life for yourself while being in a relationship. Argov explains why being strong & confident adds so much value to your life and in return, makes you more desirable to others. There are tips, facts, and stories that make this book relatable & fun.

“Anything a person chases in life runs away.”

You really can’t go wrong with any of these books. They are full of wise words and guidance to help better yourself! 

Megan O'Grady

Cal Poly '21

Megan O’Grady is a fourth year Child Development major with a Psychology minor. She’s a sucker for astrology, sex + relationships, and deep talks. When Megan is not writing for Her Campus, she’s most likely dancing, watching music videos, or thinking about Harry Styles.