This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

This piece is based on research from Dr. Tchiki Davis Ph.D., Harvard Health, and The Royal Society Publishing. 

People often think that opposites attract. While this can be the case when it comes to soulmates, it does not apply to every aspect of life. The philosophical belief, The Law of Attraction, states that like energy attracts like energy. So what does this really mean? 

The Law of Attraction is the basis of manifestation. Dr. Tchiki Davis Ph.D. explains that manifestation is the act of using powerful thoughts and beliefs to turn your goals into physical reality. All it takes is putting your hopes and wishes into the universe, believing it, and allowing the universe to give what you asked for.  If you are constantly feeling negative and down, the universe will reflect that back into your life. When you feel happy and grateful, the universe rewards you and returns that positive energy.

A key factor of manifestation is switching your mindset to constantly thinking positively. This switch in perception allows us to express positive energy into the universe and to those around us. When this action occurs, everything around you reflects back that same positive energy. For example, have you gone out with your friends one night and felt your absolute best? You’re looking good, feeling good, and all of a sudden you are getting compliments left and right. This is not a coincidence — you are the same person you were two nights ago! BUT, on this specific night you are putting the best version of yourself forward and the universe (and others) sense this. 

If you find yourself struggling to switch this perception of positive thinking — fake it till you make it. This builds up your positive vibration and makes you more open to new opportunities the universe wants to send your way. People who believe in this positive thinking have the power to create their destiny simply through the energy and vibration that is set forth. 

If you’ve heard about manifestation, but aren’t sure where to start, here are four tips you can use in your everyday life to increase positive thinking and shape the way you view the world.

• Scripting: Scripting involves writing/journaling in depth what you want to manifest. It is important that when scripting, you are writing in the present tense — as if your desire is your current reality. Make sure to include as many details as possible.
  • Affirmations: Stating positive affirmations is a great way to start off the day. Writing down these affirmations releases positive vibrations into your universe. The statements you’re expressing should make you feel good and resonate with you. Some examples of affirmations include: “I believe in, trust, and have confidence in myself. I release negative feelings and thoughts about myself. I love myself unconditionally. I have the power to shape my reality. I am attracting my soulmate.”
  • Gratitude Journal: One of the most important parts of this positive thinking mindset is expressing gratitude. Start everyday by giving thanks for what brings you happiness and the things you take for granted. Gratitude helps you attract your desires because it allows you to feel good and remember what you already have so the universe rewards you with more of that positive energy. 
  • Visualization: Visualization needs to be completed in a state of meditation. You must spend time picturing in your head what it is you want to manifest. While picturing this, imagine and do your best to embody what it would feel like once you have it. This is a great exercise to do while you are falling asleep so you can feel relaxed and at ease. 

Manifesting is a great way to start or end your day. In the morning, it allows you to start the day on the right foot, and at night, it gives you the chance to reflect. The most important part of this manifesting is to constantly express gratitude. Gratitude is essential because it forces you to release happy thoughts and energy; without it, we inadvertently invite in the toxicity and negativity that so often distorts our reality. Thank the universe for what you have and what is coming your way. It’s crucial to realize that manifesting today does not mean your results will show up tomorrow. You need to have faith that eventually, the universe will bring your dreams to you. Be patient, thankful, and enjoy life as it comes to you. 

Megan O'Grady

Cal Poly '21

Megan O’Grady is a fourth year Child Development major with a Psychology minor. She’s a sucker for astrology, sex + relationships, and deep talks. When Megan is not writing for Her Campus, she’s most likely dancing, watching music videos, or thinking about Harry Styles.