Wellness > Mental Health

College Culture Can Reinforce Eating Disorder Habits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

*Trigger Warning: This article discusses eating disorders that may be triggering for some readers. 

The transition to college can be a vulnerable time for any individual. For many students entering college, this is the first time they will be living away from home. With that comes adjusting to independently taking care of oneself, including eating routines. 

Eating disorder symptoms can also result from stress and pressure. This can be especially prevalent in the transition to college because of adjusting to new routines, new living situations, navigating academics and social aspects of adulthood, feelings of pressure to belong and more. 

Affordable College has done research looking at eating disorders and college students. 4-10% of male college students and 10-20% of female college students are affected by clinical eating disorders (not including unreported eating disorders). 27% of males and 44% of females use diets to lose weight in college. 25.5% of female college athletes exhibit eating disorder symptoms, according to Affordable College. 

Young adults are also more vulnerable to developing an eating disorder. Affordable College reports that the average ages for developing anorexia and bulimia are 19 and 20. Also, 95% of individuals diagnosed with eating disorders are between the ages of 12 and 25. 

College culture can be defined as the language, behavior, values, or outlook that come along with the college experience and the people you will meet. With college culture can come negative behavior or values. College culture can reinforce eating disorder habits.

College means meeting many new people and naturally with this can come comparison. Especially when coming to college, and trying to fit in, many individuals will come in with feelings of embarrassment or awkwardness about their image. Comparison of body image is a major contributing factor in eating disorder habits because individuals will do whatever it takes to obtain or maintain their desired appearance, especially when it comes to weight. 

When struggling with negative body image it is extremely difficult to dismantle harmful eating views and thought processes. This is especially true living in a society centered so much on weight loss. 

A subculture within college culture that can also reinforce these negative eating habits is party culture. While drinking alcohol can be used as enjoyment of time, it can also be abused to reinforce eating disorders. 

In college, I have come across many instances where individuals either drink alcohol in replacement of eating or will not eat before drinking in order to feel the effects of the alcohol faster. Both of these tactics are extremely harmful to your body and mentality. 

Finding a balance between fitting in and self-love in college is not an easy journey, and it is valid if this is something you struggle with. Here are a few tips that I like to remind myself to avoid falling into negative eating habits. 

1. Plan out your meals ahead of time. 
  2. Avoid labeling foods as “good” or “bad.” 
  3. Always eat a full meal before drinking alcohol. 
  4. Listen to your body: Eat when you are hungry. 
  5. Don’t restrict yourself. 

For further resources and counseling, look into Cal Poly’s Eating Disorder Resources

Gillian is a fourth-year at Cal Poly SLO. She is majoring in Psychology and minoring in Child Development. Gillian is the Social Media Director and a writer for Cal Poly Her Campus this year. She enjoys writing about sustainable fashion, social issues, and current trends. Even though she is planning a career in psychology, she loves being a part of Her Campus because it allows her to have a creative outlet and continue her passion for writing.